DC2 vs. EK9 Race Base

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
MINTY FRESH

DC2 vs. EK9 Race Base

Post by MINTY FRESH » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello Everybody,

Got a little bored and went on youtube for a distraction and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFiOjIQhUIY

Having both, I am not sure why the EK9 appears to be much quicker than the DC2: car or driver or track. The major difference I feel between them is the turn in. On normal roads the Race Base is extremely sharp. But what do I know. I have never tracked either one.

Enjoy

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: DC2 vs. EK9 Race Base

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:12 pm

I will watch after work today. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Ek9 is probably lighter?
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:17 pm

EK9 would be lighter than the DC2 so it would have a bit of an advantage there but I think driver experience is more of the deciding factor here. DC2 driver doesn't seem as smooth as the EK9. I would like to see the same driver get a few runs in each car and his time be averaged out then compared.

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Obviously there are a million things that can contribute to the difference.

Not sure what "race base" means but we'd need more specs on each cars in order to dig into it.

For starters, would love to know what tires they are on.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 pm

RTW DC2R wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:38 pm Obviously there are a million things that can contribute to the difference.

Not sure what "race base" means but we'd need more specs on each cars in order to dig into it.

For starters, would love to know what tires they are on.
"Race base" was an option for the ek9 Ctr. It had essential no options and came with black steelie wheels. All to save weight. Afaik
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

MINTY FRESH

Post by MINTY FRESH » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Hello,

What’s a Race Base? That’s a hard question to answer. But from my understanding the Race Base/Motorsport Edition/N1/Lightweight (and other names) included/deleted the following:
- no abs
- regular seats (not red)
- clear back side widows
- steelies
- wind up windows
- modified transmission - I learned this from completely rebuilding my transmission. There were unique oem parts for it. We couldn’t use ones for the regular EK9.
-little to no insulation
- air conditioning was an option. That is why it is sometimes referred to as ta N1 depending on pulley used.
- type r stickers were on the back of hatch and sometimes on the rear quarters.
The cars were this way (regular seats and steelies) so that race teams could buy them cheaper and toss out things they would change anyway. The car I have was a former race car.

Minty

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 am

Those dont look like steelies to me. They look wider than a stock sized wheel and the offset looks to be lower as well.

Anywho we need specs otherwise we are just guessing lol
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 am

MINTY FRESH wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 pm Hello,

What’s a Race Base? That’s a hard question to answer. But from my understanding the Race Base/Motorsport Edition/N1/Lightweight (and other names) included/deleted the following:
- no abs
- clear back side widows
- steelies
- wind up windows
- modified transmission - I learned this from completely rebuilding my transmission. There were unique oem parts for it. We couldn’t use ones for the regular EK9.
-little to no insulation
- air conditioning was an option. That is why it is sometimes referred to as ta N1 depending on pulley used.
The cars were this way (regular seats and steelies) so that race teams could buy them cheaper and toss out things they would change anyway. The car I have was a former race car.

Minty
The race base sounds a lot like the bare bones FR-S/BRZ toyota was selling
Last edited by coolhandluke on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken image
-Andrew Wong

Wibbs

Post by Wibbs » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 am

MINTY FRESH wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 pm Hello,

- no abs
- clear back side widows
- steelies
- wind up windows
-little to no insulation

Minty
What MF said above. I've seen two in the flesh that were imported to my neck of the woods in Ireland in the early noughties. Both also had the power steering removed at the factory. Years back I had a discussion with a Japanese petrolhead who told me they were mostly aimed at non pro weekend track enthusiasts, rather than "official" race teams and sold through regular dealers as an option.

I have heard tell on the interwebs of DC2 race base, but have never seen or heard any credible data on one actually existing. My own R was first owned by a circuit in Japan, so you might expect them to have sourced one and it did have all but the aircon option deleted(though had the black Recaros, standard wheels and floor mats). So no ABS, airbags, third brake light, radio, clock, rear boot/trunk carpet or plastic panel, rear parcel shelf, or jack. I added some of those bits and bobs down the years, particularly when the JDM import scene died a death over here and parts and whole cars were going for buttons(two grand or less for running ones). In a moment of sheer idiocy I threw out the carbon effect blanking plate for the radio. :oops: :shock: Thundering eejit of the year prize went to me. :trophy: :lol:
JDM VSM Irish interloper :oops: ;)