Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
PeteTheCarFreak

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Looks sweet nice work

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 am

x2!!! Badass thread. The bumper choice is by far my favorite. I was planning to do the same to my black one as the 97 front end IMO is the best.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:19 pm

aklackner wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm Image

Since I couldn’t find more than the clip positions in Helms I made the cowl install sequence up as I went along and faced some trouble for my efforts. Here’s what I should have done:

-(Align, mark, &) Remove hood from hinges
-Remove cowl (leave hood hinges, it may be possible but I couldn’t find a way to install the cowl w/ hinge covers without removing the hood first, but once the cowl is in place getting to the rear hinge to body bolts is extremely difficult.)
-Install windshield and moldings
-Ensure cowl will cover bottom edge of glass (it was close but did work out for me with carbon cowl) but don’t reinstall it yet.
-If hinges were removed from body reinstall hinges and hood, align and mark then remove hood from hinges
-Transfer wiper sprayers/hoses/rubber hinge covers, if replacing cowl and not provided.
-Reinstall cowl (cowl edges go under windshield side moldings but rubber hinge covers go into fender and slide over the windshield side moldings
-Reinstall hood and confirm alignment.
Wow what a pita . I had a degree of difficulty installing my new oem cowl , but nothing like this . I didn’t have to remove the hood. I had problems getting the center clip on the first try . Did you use foam like the oem cowl ? I noticed you stated it didn’t include any seals .Your car looks great. What a transformation. Awesome work. On a side note ,Is the brake booster reservoir new ? Sure looks it .

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Yes I used 1/16 x 1/8 neoprene foam tape. The install really wasn’t a terribly big deal as far as carbon items frequently go but the sequence I laid out would streamline and minimize issues. Since the cowl isn’t well documented in Helms I figured I’d lay it out.

Also yes it’s a new brake master w/ reservoir.

Thanks, still very much in progress and like everyone else it gets a bit frustrating dealing with imperfections as I put so much time and effort into it but very executed to get it back on the road!

Can’t wait to shift from theory and guess work to actually tuning it to the feel I want.

Also I have t forgotten, I do have some parts still on the shelf that need to be shipped out (including that amber evap hose) sorry for being so delinquent in getting them out I’ll try to send items promised soon.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:51 pm

aklackner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 pm Yes I used 1/16 x 1/8 neoprene foam tape. The install really wasn’t a terribly big deal as far as carbon items frequently go but the sequence I laid out would streamline and minimize issues. Since the cowl isn’t well documented in Helms I figured I’d lay it out.

Also yes it’s a new brake master w/ reservoir.

Thanks, still very much in progress and like everyone else it gets a bit frustrating dealing with imperfections as I put so much time and effort into it but very executed to get it back on the road!

Can’t wait to shift from theory and guess work to actually tuning it to the feel I want.

Also I have t forgotten, I do have some parts still on the shelf that need to be shipped out (including that amber evap hose) sorry for being so delinquent in getting them out I’ll try to send items promised soon.
I totally understand the frustration . Cars will be cars and whatever should be easy can end in way
more time than anticipated.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Shifting away from the JRSC, it was time to start getting the exhaust in place.

Front lower heatshield was remounted, Shift linkage went in with Hybrid racing short shifter, Comptech header, and finally a bolt on Magnaflow cat.

I didn’t realize the Comptech header was for a 99 GSR until after I had already gotten it home, seller didn’t seem to know there was a difference. I found out that it does fit the ITR and the EO number covers the ‘01 ITR so there’s was little reason to try to find something else for inspections. Fortunately the EO for the Magnaflow GSR bolt on cat. also covers the my car.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm

I had ITR/LS/00-01 GSR Comptech header for some reason you don't see them as much as the 94-99 GSR header. Also ended up finding a 94-99 GSR header that was in better condition so I kept that one instead. It didn't cross my mind when I bought it locally that it was missing the o2 bung.

What exhaust are you using with the GSR comptech header and cat? Isn't the piping length on the bpipe different? I know I had to get my cat extended to use that header with the stock ITR bpipe and muffler, whereas the the LS/ITR header was a perfect fit with the LS and ITR catback
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 pm

I found an Apex WS Noir (also specific to 99 GSR) for a reasonable price. 60mm piping all the way, just easier for me to keep a full inspection ready bolt-on setup than to try to have something more complex custom done to minimize swap over time.

The plan is typically to run the LHT supercharger header, 200 cell 2.5” cat, 2.5” custom B-pipe, to the Mugen Twin loop.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:22 pm

Exhaust is in. Also went to install OEM fans they fit with the ‘98 JDM header and heatshield (on Koyo radiator) but would not clear the Comptech header. Luckily I still had the FAL fans so dropped those directly on to the Koyo radiator. Not how I wanted fans mounted but looks good (for now).

ImageImageImage

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:36 am

lé apexi noir....fantastique!! Subtle; this is the way.

The gift and the course of living in socal. Finding cool shizz from a better era. I for one love JRSC's, I can recall my first drive in one as if it was yesterday. I hope you find the coolest state ref ever and this thing gets a pass w/ a charger on it; after that sky's the limit.

This wasn't me driving but this was the car I did the cams and charger for.

Dyno- https://youtu.be/5LImckxCUJs

Pull- https://youtu.be/5iIFWbHPF-k