My 2000 Integra GS - Curva Red, K Series, 5 lug, jdm front, etc. Weekend Street/Track Build.

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
DC4MC

Re: My 2000 Integra GS - Curva Red, K Series, 5 lug, jdm front, etc. Weekend Street/Track Build.

Post by DC4MC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:38 pm

After the bay was painted I wanted to get the front suspension finished up and set the motor in place for the first time. I had the motor for a couple years after I picked it up from a local yard. It’s a 2008 k24a2 with 132k miles. Also got a RSX type S 6 speed transmission from a 2005 car. Ended up going through autofair Honda to get some items to freshen the motor up and picked up a few other items on black Friday deals.

Also picked up all my weather stripping, seals, quarter glass, etc. to freshen up the shell once the new paint is done (not pictured. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of everything when I checked through the order when it came).

Here’s a couple pictures of the night I dropped the motor in.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by DC4MC on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DC4MC

Re: My 2000 Integra GS - Curva Red, K Series, 5 lug, jdm front, etc. Weekend Street/Track Build.

Post by DC4MC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:11 pm

After the motor was in, I started working on prepping the shell for paint. I also purchased aerocatch hood pins so I started working on getting those in as well.

From here the shell was ready to haul over to our other garage that also seconds as a paint booth.

Next post I’ll share some pictures of the shell getting some color!
Last edited by DC4MC on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 am

Looks awesome, nice work!

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm

PeteTheCarFreak wrote:Looks awesome, nice work!
Thank you!

This thread is a little misleading on how fast this all actually happened. These pictures are taken over the last 12 years (main work over the last 7). Hoping I can get to a point of driving it again this year, I’m not going to go as far as saying I will complete it this year.

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Alright, back to paint.

After primer/sealer on the interior, I went straight to base and clear. Didn’t see the need in extensive prep on the interior.

After that I masked off the interior so we could get the exterior going. Shot epoxy primer/sealer over the initial body work, then did a couple coats of sandable primer. Did a few little more areas fo body work during blocking. After we were happy, pulled all the tape and plastic off to redo it. The dry paint on the tape can chip off and get into your paint pretty easily, so I elected to re-tape to avoid that.

After it was all masked back off, we hit it with another coat of epoxy primer/sealer to lock it all down and did base and clear right after.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:50 pm

That red is beautiful! Incredible work, I just went back through this thread from start to finish. I admire your determination in under taking this build with all the sheet metal, paint prep, and laying down the paint. :beer:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Wow, looks gorgeous!

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:36 pm

I would love to have the skillset to do something like that. It's coming along great!

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Outrun wrote:I would love to have the skillset to do something like that. It's coming along great!
No special skill set here. Just too tight with money to justify the costs of paying someone else to do it... I had never painted a car until this one. I’ve had help from a good friends dad who does awesome work, but most of it is just figuring it out as I go along. Here’s some proof that it’s not all perfect.
ImageImage

But after a little touch up and some wet sanding, it can be cleaned up pretty good.

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:26 pm

After the car was polished out, I wanted to start getting other items ready to go back in. I originally put a manual steering rack in it but realized it used a different size spline on the u joint to the steering column, so I tore that out and de powered my original rack, cleaned it up and threw it in. From everything I read, the power racks have the better turning ratio anyways, so I think I’m better off.

Stripped down my calipers and started powdercoating those. Also bought OEM seal kits to rebuild them when they went back together. Thought this powder color was pretty close to the factory zinc coating.

Also stripped down my brake booster and powdercoated it black.