ITR and CTR Registry App

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ngoan
Badge Number: 98-0268

ITR and CTR Registry App

Post by ngoan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:33 pm

Hey folks, I spent months making an iOS App that helps users document and track these cars. If you have an ITR or CTR, please sign up and add your car to the App. The goal is to have one central, community driven place for the data. Side note, you can also add private maintenance records and mileage updates to your car as well. Please let me know if you have any questions or have suggestions/improvements on the app. Thank you!

(Android coming soon)

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZS ... 1486088245 (free)
2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (Grey/Black)
2009 Honda S2000 CR AC/Audio (RYP)
1998 Acura Integra Type R #98-0268 (CW)

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Re: ITR and CTR Registry App

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Sounds awesome!! I'm in for android when it comes out.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

g3teg97
Badge Number: 98-0379

Post by g3teg97 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:36 pm

Sounds good. Waiting for the Android version.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:50 pm

What are your plans for protecting and contributing Type R community information back to the community? This effort appears to crowd source data from the community to benefit...who? Who will own this new badge database? How will this data be protected from prying eyes or thieves? Security has been top of mind for many owners for years. VIN’s, license plates, and the typical iPhone/Android photo, contain a treasure trove of data that can be miss-used by thieves. Many don’t realize how much GPS and other data are captured in their smart phone’s photos.

Further, the app store description doesn’t match your words above. Instead of focusing on the Type R community this appears to be generic app towards the general automotive community. I have concerns this is more of a solicited ad for a new business rather than something to help the Type R community. In terms of registry, the Type R community has been documenting a badge database for 20+ years for the community. When car’s change hands or the more likely case, theft, this secured database has helped countless community owners learn more about their car’s history and locate their missing badge number.

I would appreciate your help in understanding my questions above. It's possible I have misunderstood your purpose.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

hootrscootr

Post by hootrscootr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:18 pm

coolhandluke wrote:What are your plans for protecting and contributing Type R community information back to the community? This effort appears to crowd source data from the community to benefit...who? Who will own this new badge database? How will this data be protected from prying eyes or thieves? Security has been top of mind for many owners for years. VIN’s, license plates, and the typical iPhone/Android photo, contain a treasure trove of data that can be miss-used by thieves. Many don’t realize how much GPS and other data are captured in their smart phone’s photos.

Further, the app store description doesn’t match your words above. Instead of focusing on the Type R community this appears to be generic app towards the general automotive community. I have concerns this is more of a solicited ad for a new business rather than something to help the Type R community. In terms of registry, the Type R community has been documenting a badge database for 20+ years for the community. When car’s change hands or the more likely case, theft, this secured database has helped countless community owners learn more about their car’s history and locate their missing badge number.

I would appreciate your help in understanding my questions above. It's possible I have misunderstood your purpose.
I think I know what he is wanting to do, and that is to have a place where, unfortunately anyone, can find out about the history of a car they may be potentially buying or are curious of the history of a car they currently own. Like Ryan said, this needs to be further explained before myself or a lot of other type R owners post their info about their location or other info on their cars that could possibly be used for an ill intended purpose. To a thief, this is a treasure map. All they gotta do is a quick search, find all your info, see where you work and when you arent home or on vacation and boom, your car is easy pickins. I like the idea of it, but I like what the community has in place now. Only a few pokers in the fire with access to all of the info. The guys in charge of it have been doing it forever, so 99.99% of us trust them with said info.
00-1175

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:15 pm

You lost me at ap :lol: .

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Those are some good points. Makes me think twice.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

ngoan
Badge Number: 98-0268

Post by ngoan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:58 am

What are your plans for protecting and contributing Type R community information back to the community? This effort appears to crowd source data from the community to benefit...who? Who will own this new badge database?

- This is no different from having an “Official ITR thread” where people post badge numbers. Often this list gets outdated as the thread creator falls of as we’ve all noticed, that and providing a way to allow members to “update” their car with the community, is the goal. Additionally, these lists don’t provide photos of the cars.

How will this data be protected from prying eyes or thieves? Security has been top of mind for many owners for years. VIN’s, license plates, and the typical iPhone/Android photo, contain a treasure trove of data that can be miss-used by thieves. Many don’t realize how much GPS and other data are captured in their smart phone’s photos.

- My LLC will own this data, but it’s encrypted using the highest standards offered by Google’s platforms. I’m only storing the last 6 digits of the VIN, not the entire thing (users will have to figure out the check digit). GPS data from the photos will also be stripped when uploading. Users can also opt to make private posts, or a personal diary if they would like.

Further, the app store description doesn’t match your words above. Instead of focusing on the Type R community this appears to be generic app towards the general automotive community. I have concerns this is more of a solicited ad for a new business rather than something to help the Type R community.

- I’ve been a member of the Type R community for many, many years. I have no plans on doing anything to harm the community. I was managing the 2000 ITR Registry thread on Honda-Tech for many years but I felt that that process was too manual. I’ve noticed many other car forums have similar threads so I thought of this idea to 1) unify all data 2) make it easier for people to contribute.

- I’ve also made an app for NSX Production Numbers App broken down by year and color, offered entirely free for the community. This has proven to be a helpful tool for people when buying NSXs.

- Yes, this is a really business venture, but for me it is rather an extension of my hobby. I love data, and I love technology, so why not combine the two? This project took me about 6 months with endless days and nights and many fights with my wife. This project will never end as there are so many more things to do. I was originally calling this either Club VTEC or VTEC Registry (I have the domains registered), but many of my car enthusiast friends suggested that I open this up to cars outside of Honda.

In terms of registry, the Type R community has been documenting a badge database for 20+ years for the community. When car’s change hands or the more likely case, theft, this secured database has helped countless community owners learn more about their car’s history and locate their missing badge number.

- I’ve heard this many times, and this is actually what lead me to do this project. I’ve reached out to many members before regarding the ITR Community’s “Registry” in hopes of helping out (with technology) however I can but I never really was able to. Maybe I didn’t reach out to the right people? This leads me to ask since you brought this up, how is the ITR Registry maintained? Is it a collaborative effort or just 1 person? How is it updated/secured? Please don’t take it the wrong way, I’m not parroting or mocking you since you asked me these questions, I actually am genuinely curious as you are.

- Closing thoughts, I’m a car collector myself and I’ve owned many Integra Type Rs and many other limited cars over the years. I have my own personal list of information from the dozens of cars that I’ve owned, information that only I know and things never reported on a Carfax report. My goal is to be able to give users an easy way to track this information easily, privately and securely. I currently have around 200 members only a few days after launch now with the number of ITR, CTR, S2000 CR and Zanardi NSX steadily growing. Whether users decide to include their data or not, I will surely continue to document the cars I find publicly or privately. Obviously I won’t include any personal details that will hurt anyone.

Take what you will from this, at worst it’s another way to track these beloved cars of ours, at best it’s an easy to use platform that unites car enthusiasts as a whole (With a heavy focus on Honda since that is my niche), designed and developed by a huge car enthusiast.
2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (Grey/Black)
2009 Honda S2000 CR AC/Audio (RYP)
1998 Acura Integra Type R #98-0268 (CW)

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:33 am

Thank you for the quick response. I will break out your questions with answers later today.

Cliffs:
The Type R community badge database has multiple contributors, including community members via this site, but only two have access for security reasons. The database creator, Doespike, and jayhaire, this site's admin.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

C.a.m

Help Sourcing 98 ITR Badge Number

Post by C.a.m » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello everyone, new to the forum but not to the Honda scene. I’m currently in the process of gettin a 98 CW integra Type R “in transit”. The car is a shell, with a shaved engine bay. It still pertains 90% of its vins. Can anyone help me find the number for this type r please. I plan on doing a full restoration, and using it as my wedding car.