RaceCapture

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

RaceCapture

Post by aklackner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:20 am

Anyone have experience with the RaceCapture Pro system?
https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/r ... repro-mk3/

I’m thinking very seriously about setting up for a bit of data acquisition. I like the price point and really like the idea of leveraging a mobile device for an on demand digital dash. While I’ve struggled to pull s300 data into other mobile apps, this seems like it would be more flexible. I also dig the DIY nature of the kit; I’m not afraid of a soldering iron and it seems to give you a lot more freedom than having to buy a given platform’s compatible sensors.

It seems like the platform has been around a few years, but not really a major player. The interface is pretty basic but, for use as a digital dash that I can pull up to extend visible data when I want, I don’t know that I need slick shadowing and 3D effects. I’m not really prepared at this point to do deep analysis but I’m am a bit concerned the platform would have a steeper learning curve to first figure out what I want to pull out then how to program/script it where more sophisticated platforms provide more templates to ease the approach.

I do realize for data sharing/comparison AIM seems to be the go to but feel like I’d have to buy in at a much higher price point than would be justified to get the basic sensors (oil temp, oil pressure, boost/vacuum, digital data stream from s300, lap timer/accelerometer/gps) I’d initially be interested in. I also like the idea that when I need to run the oem ecu I can still pull pretty rich data from OBD2 with a ~$20 cable to still keep an eye on things.

I highly recommend taking a look at the sensor information autosportslab has posted for anyone running an s300. Until reading through their wiki I didn’t realize how easy it is to add many sensors directly to the s300. This won’t get laptimes or accelerometer data but can easily supplement basic tuning/monitoring https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapturePro_Sensors. (Note this won’t load properly on a small screen mobile)

aw614

Re: RaceCapture

Post by aw614 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:38 am

Watching this thread, currently use S300. Going to read the links you posted. I too want something for data acquisition, right now I've been playing with track addict and am just using a 10hz bt GPS receiver and the only data I'll probably be collecting is GPS speed data while on the track or autocross, but it would be nice to have intake temp, water temp, oil temp, etc.

Not having OBD2 information and having to use an obd1 ecu, this was my concern on my car.

Could you use the CAN output on S300 to work with any data logging software?
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:08 pm

The digital outputs on the s300 do support input to a number of data\dash systems but there could be some work setting up the input profile if a profile for the s300 data packet doesn't already exist.
https://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/i ... output.htm

The Hondata bluetooth functionality can (in theory) also be used as a digital output but few mobile apps have profiles to support the s300 or the ability to customize intake of the s300 data stream, since it doesn't follow OBD2 standards. At least it was beyond my understanding how to translate into something that could be used to extend compatibility with existing mobile apps. I don't have a strong programming\data comm. background though so it's likely someone with more familiarity in this area would have better luck.
https://www.hondata.com/downloads/Bluetooth.pdf

The RaceCapture system seems like it could be an ideal solution, for me, since it has a lower price point (for a reasonably featured data acquisition system), directly supports customization of a mobile digital dash, has CAN and OBD2 input options, and also a system\support to build out a custom profile for the s300 CAN data packet, if a profile doesn't already exist. This is all assumption based on their info\marketing so MMV.

If you already have gps data separately and you just want to add some additional sensors to the s300 datalog the sensor info on the autosportlabs site will likely meet your needs. However if, like me, you're basically looking to extend options for idiot lights without altering your physical dash, directly connecting sensors isn't really a solution since the Hondata app doesn't allow customization.

In addition to the direct diy wiring of sensors, PLX will soon be offering a new combined sensor module. This should provide a more plug and play way to connect a number of supported sensors, which can then be output to a Mutli-function gauge, bluetooth, and\or s300 via rs232(with a headphone style splitter and 3.5mm to 3 wire adapter, soldering not required, pm me if you need more info on this connection). This could extend some digital dash features, but since it won't pull data in from the s300 (that I'm aware of) the PLX mobile app will only show sensors on modules connected via PLX iMFD. This means if you wanted to see a warning for IAT values, for instance, you'd have to add a PLX air temp sensor.
https://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDetai ... 7346002085

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:46 pm

This area is on my radar. The hurdle with data is deciding which data to ingest vs. data overflow. For $750, this system isn't "cheap", but it is ~$300-400 cheaper than an advanced data logger from AiM, but is more expensive than the AiM Solo II ($699) and AiM Solo ($399.) The GUI looks better than AiM from the initial screen shots.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:46 pm For $750, this system isn't "cheap", but it is ~$300-400 cheaper than an advanced data logger from AiM, but is more expensive than the AiM Solo II ($699) and AiM Solo ($399.)
$750 is with the 3g cellular option, to directly stream data for live tracking, for a pit crew or some form of team monitoring via their podium live system. More likely for the frenemies. :)

I plan to try out the $600 version, without direct 3g, and log to data card\display a dash on a mobile device, and stream from the mobile when on the track, if I feel like it. This would put the RaceCapture below the pricing for AiM Solo II but still above the cost of AiM Solo.

I also see a non-pro RaceCapture device for $299(2 channel CAN), $399(w/OBD2 adapter), for those looking for something closer to the AiM Solo, supporting basic CAN\OBD2 input. It doesn't seem like it has as much support for additional sensor connections beyond the ecu. If there are any, it seems like the main advantages over the Solo would be it still supports a mobile digital dash via bluetooth or Wifi and includes the podium live platform. Disadvantage, it's less mainstream and it doesn't seem to do camera control unless you buy another module.
https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/r ... track-mk2/

coolhandluke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:46 pm The hurdle with data is deciding which data to ingest vs. data overflow
I agree actually trying to pull insight from the data is overwhelming. I feel the same dealing with windows logging and traces at work though. :lol: Still, I feel like unless you capture the data you won't even have the option to try to leverage it when you or someone you can con into helping you are ready to take a look.

Online systems like podium add a whole dimension to this since you can compare data with other drivers and see where differences are. Much like any socially hosted metrics this could help highlight things you won't see just looking at your own data, but is just as likely to lead down meaningless rabbit holes unless you really know what you're looking at.

Fortunately, my use case is pretty rudimentary and logging is more of a happy upside, my chief goal is being able to setup customized idiot lights. Since I intend to daily my ITR I want to be able to monitor additional sensors without having to have a ton of gauges. I want to keep the data filtered down as much as possible. I'll save the logging for HPDE days or targeted times I'm interested in and then I can try to mine the details later at a laptop.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 pm

So reading a bit more I got the info on the non-pro RaceCapture ($299) a bit wrong.

Even the non-pro model has (2) CAN inputs so you can add their (~$100/ea) analog sensor converter (each support [4] 5v sensors, chain up to 4 of these for input from up to 16 sensors on a single CAN chain) to pull in additional sensor data.
https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/a ... interface/

Then use the other CAN input to pull in data from OBD2 (if OEM ecu+$99 for the OBD2toCAN adapter) or the s300 directly via CAN.

Nice thing about both the analog sensor converter and the OBD2toCAN adapter is they are platform agnostic so if you have AiM or another platform that supports CAN you should be able to use them to expand your system, if you have an open CAN input.

The main differences I see between the Pro and non-Pro models seems to be that the Pro has a number of analog inputs on board, RS232 input support, power from wired power source via harness, supports higher sampling rates, and a sd slot.to support 32gb SDHC. With the non-pro it looks like you have to save data streams either on your mobile device or via the mobile device to Podium, 50hz sample rate, and power comes over CAN for a more removable\on demand system. I'll probably still go for the pro just to satisfy the :ugeek:

I expect it won't be until some time q1-2 next year when I have my ITR all together but I'm pretty sure I'll have to give this a try. I'll share my impressions, since it seems like there's at least a little interest, if someone else doesn't beat me too it.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:23 am

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:15 am

Bumping this thread up. It does look like Trackaddict does work with Hondata s300 via bluetooth. I did a small raw data log for about 2-3 miles or so, it looks like it is reading the sensor information and transferring it over. Stuff like IAT, ECT, RPMs, VSS that you can see on the Hondata app via bluetooth seem to be captured. I am going to explore more into it this weekend at the local autocross and possibly at the next Eibach track event later this month.

https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html
-Andrew Wong