Values of USDM ITRs after JDM ITRs become legal

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Re: Values of USDM ITRs after JDM ITRs become legal

Post by Gotin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:31 am

I think that the introduction of JDM ITR will mirror the outcome of the CRX. Examples can be found of where a clean USDM CRX has sold for $10k and above while the same CRX with a bit higher miles can be $5k and above. The JDM SiR CRX has entered our market at $10k regardless of the miles. A JDM CRX is the whole JDM package which seems to have a fixed cost. We all know what a perfect US ITR can cost and the spectrum that a not so perfect US ITR can be had for. I project that the JDM ITR will come in at a fixed price and stay ballpark fixed regardless of miles. As stated before, the price is controlled by supply and demand, but I would make the argument that the USDM ITR and the JDM ITR are not the same therefore don't share the same market.
-BJ-

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:13 pm

And wouldn't Californians have trouble getting a jdm car smogged?
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 am

Californians can barely pass stock ITRs lately. Does CA have an age limit on that? If so, then it would be ok.

IL can do Antique Vehicle tags after a certain age.
:hammer:

Sort of Fast

Post by Sort of Fast » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

I think majority on Supra forums stated the JDM variants did not affect USDM models much. I would reckon most who are looking for a drivers car without paying too much would opt for the JDM model since it comes with better parts at a lesser cost. Plus, RHD is actually more balanced due to where the motor is positioned. I'm still going to assume the USDM's will keep their value, but I still don't find that to be a good thing. Tired of seeing good cars sit in a garage forever just to be sold later.
ITR Cult Following: A group of people that has a set of beliefs in which the ITR is viewed as being the bestest FWD ever made, everyone else is wrong.

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:15 pm

^ Rising values is a double edged sword. It is nice to know that your car is rising in value but it makes you think twice about adding mileage.

I bought a driver ITR with a couple fender benders and 7/`10 body. The plan was to drive it and not care yet I still think twice about adding milage. I have no plans to sell and I know it isn't going to make me rich so I should just drive and enjoy.

I had the same problem with my 97 Porsche 911 C4S. It had a major accident but it still rose in value so much that I didn't feel comfortable driving it in anger or leaving it in a parking lot anymore. The value nearly doubled from 2014 to 2016. That took the fun out of ownership pretty quickly.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

MINTY FRESH

Post by MINTY FRESH » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Hello All,

Having recently gone through the process of bringing a JDM into Canada, I would add there is another aspect to consider. Because it is very hard to get a thorough (honest?) inspection/assessment of the car you want before you purchase it in Japan, you are very dependent on the auction and/or the company assisting you to provide you with any additional information that might be missing. Needless to say this is a flawed system. Although the car I brought has many good points, the need to completely rebuild the transmission with JDM parts was very expensive and not mentioned as a possibility by the seller or the importer. I could have bought a refurbished transmission, but then you don't know how good it is. If I had to do it over again I would have tried to purchase a car that is already in the Americas. However, this then brings up the problem of paying a bit more for it, but to me it would be worth it. This of course also means that the car you want is already over here. Given this, and the original question about values, I would also say that a JDM that is already over here and is in good order, is worth much more than one that is in Japan but is an unknown commodity.

What are you going to do?

MINTY
Last edited by MINTY FRESH on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:46 pm

MINTY FRESH wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:28 pm Hello All,

Having recently gone through the process of bringing a JDM into Canada, I would add there is another aspect to consider. Because it is very hard to get a thorough (honest?) inspection/assessment of the car you want before you purchase it in Japan, you are very dependent on the auction and/or the company assisting you to provide you with any additional information that might be missing. Needless to say this is a flawed system. Although the car I brought has many good points, the need to completely rebuild the transmission with JDM parts was very expensive and not mentioned as a possibility by the seller or they importer. I could have bought a refurbished transmission, but then you don't know how good it is. If I had to do it again I would have tried to purchase a car that is already in the Americas. However, this then brings up the problem of paying a bit more for it, but to me it would be worth it. This is of course also means that the car you want is already over here. Given this, and the original question about values, I would also say that a JDM that is already over here and is in good order, is worth much more than one that is in Japan but is an unknown commodity.

What are you going to do?

MINTY
Valuable input, thank you for sharing.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Interesting point about importing from Japan. I previously owned an R32 Skyline GTR and currently a MK4 Supra TT from Japan. I bought both of that already landed in Canada. Both had issues but the fact is they are old cars.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 am

how are the rust issues on the jdm cars? I'd be weary of a car from canada b/c of that, do they salt their roads like how they do here in the US?
-Andrew Wong

MINTY FRESH

Post by MINTY FRESH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 am

Hello,

I can only speak to my own experience, but the car I imported has no underseal and the underside is very clean. Please see attached pictures. And by the way, in Alberta we do not use road salt, we use sand; whereas, Ontario more often uses road salt.

Andrew
Attachments
19-11.jpg
19-11.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
16-11.jpg
16-11.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
18-11.jpg
18-11.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
17-11.jpg
17-11.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 1066 times