WTB: Type R catalytic converter

Type R Specific Items belong here
aw614

Re: WTB: Type R catalytic converter

Post by aw614 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 am

aklackner wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:10 am My next custom set up will try a GESI “gsport” cat. It’s certified to federal standards, uses a metal honeycomb (vs ceramic), and the housing is stainless steel. Use of the metal honeycomb allows better flow (300 cell). The unit I picked up is 4” x8” (2.5” in/out).

Paperwork with it cautions against heating above 900c while tuning, while it’s rated to this temp sustained exposure will cause damage.

Looks like it’s $330 for the cat itself from Hpt auto and of course this still needs someone to weld flanges and an O2 bung.
James@IPGparts is running the GESI cat on his track ITR
https://www.instagram.com/p/CInzi0BHpFl/

Really considering this option too
-Andrew Wong

Sporky82
Badge Number: searching

Post by Sporky82 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:34 am

I'm using the universal Magnaflow 2.5" cat and I didn't noticed any excessive raspiness sound, I will be using it with my Fujitsubo Legalis R this year once the weather is better.

I believe the em1 cat is 2" diameter which is slightly smaller than the oem itr

aklackner

WTB: Type R catalytic converter

Post by aklackner » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:37 am

aw614 wrote: James@IPGparts is running the GESI cat on his track ITR
https://www.instagram.com/p/CInzi0BHpFl/

Really considering this option too
Thanks for sharing I hadn’t seen that. I like the idea of using a test pipe then having the cat welded in to the sections it should minimize the welding as long as a quality test pipe can be sourced.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Goog luck finding a new oem cat lol.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:14 pm

There was an old thread from a few years back about replacement cats and results. I have a Magnaflow direct fit carb cat for integras, but the exhaust manifold down pipe end connection is clocked wrong. They don’t make a type r specific cat. It will bolt up to any other integra, except type r. Construction and finish is superior though and have apparently seen quite an increase in price over the past few years.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:38 pm

9701TypeR wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:14 pm There was an old thread from a few years back about replacement cats and results. I have a Magnaflow direct fit carb cat for integras, but the exhaust manifold down pipe end connection is clocked wrong. They don’t make a type r specific cat. It will bolt up to any other integra, except type r. Construction and finish is superior though and have apparently seen quite an increase in price over the past few years.
I thought the USDM catalytic converter and header combo is clocked the same between the LS, 00-01 GSR and ITR as I had an OEM LS exhaust manifold and Comptech header bolted up to a stock LS cat and ITR catback. But if you are referring to the JDM exhaust then you are right.

From personal experience on USDM cars, I found the catalytic converter/testpipe clocked wrong on some aftermarket testpipes and catalytic converters due to some of the aftermarket companies selling D series fittment parts for B series cars.

On the catalytic converter tests, Grassroots motorsports did a test on a Miata of several brands a few years back.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/artic ... ter-face-/
-Andrew Wong

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Sounds like you didn’t have a type r specific header, which would make sense it bolted to an LS cat. I’m referring to a usdm type r specs.

PaulMc

Post by PaulMc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:23 am

Well, part number for the ITR downpipe which the ITR cat would bolt to is 18210-ST7-R62. That part number shows compatibility with the 97 LS and 98 GS.

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/oem-p ... wtbDQtZ2Fz

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 am

PaulMc wrote:Well, part number for the ITR downpipe which the ITR cat would bolt to is 18210-ST7-R62. That part number shows compatibility with the 97 LS and 98 GS.

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/oem-p ... wtbDQtZ2Fz
I’ve personally attempted to bolt an LS manifold to a b18C5, it wouldn’t clear the ITR transbrace. The LS has 2 smaller L brackets that provide better clearance. The issue was in the radius where it starts to turn to come under. The LS one made 2 bends to taper close to the motor.

I’ve not had hands on a USDM lower manifold but the 96 JDM cast manifold came straighter down and had a tighter bend down low to provide more clearance. With the significant ITR transbrace it makes sense that it would have to be arranged differently to clear where the LS manifold the secondary runners sat next to each other flat under the oil pan this doesn’t really account for why the flange would be clocked differently, and if the parts catalog shows compatibility that might be why bolt in support is limited?

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:55 am

This WTB has turned into a debated tech thread

Again, if anyone wants to know about replacement cats and fitment, search the forum for the old thread on this. After years of trial and error I know what I’m looking for at this point, but this forum may not be the source of it...