Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Stin1

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by Stin1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:21 pm

aklackner wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm
coolhandluke wrote:You continue to impress me with your DIY learning and excellent results, on black paint no less!

Learning how to polish is a goal of mine. I've been recently spending time reading and watching tutorials. I owe you all an update in the detailing thread.
Thanks Ryan. A lot of it simply comes down to OCD Image

In this case though I have a few things going for me:
Non-OEM paint is less hard than original, which means less effort to work.
With a fresh (as it it’s seen virtually miles) paint there’s not a ton of work required, mostly you just want to avoid being too aggressive unless there are severe (quality) issues with the paint job.
While I’m uninitiated to racing, I was very deep in the SoCal import scene before and up to its peak. Somehow I ended up working with several top cars, which meant a lot of detailing practice. I’ve done my best to rehabilitate but skills of a misspent youth and all. Image

Here you can see the fender which I haven’t done looks a bit hazy compared to the door which is now polished. I’m not making a tremendous amount of difference but in the sun that last .5% is what draws you eye.
Be careful, you can burn the paint and it will pull off .

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Stin1 wrote:
aklackner wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm
coolhandluke wrote:You continue to impress me with your DIY learning and excellent results, on black paint no less!

Learning how to polish is a goal of mine. I've been recently spending time reading and watching tutorials. I owe you all an update in the detailing thread.
Thanks Ryan. A lot of it simply comes down to OCD Image

In this case though I have a few things going for me:
Non-OEM paint is less hard than original, which means less effort to work.
With a fresh (as it it’s seen virtually miles) paint there’s not a ton of work required, mostly you just want to avoid being too aggressive unless there are severe (quality) issues with the paint job.
While I’m uninitiated to racing, I was very deep in the SoCal import scene before and up to its peak. Somehow I ended up working with several top cars, which meant a lot of detailing practice. I’ve done my best to rehabilitate but skills of a misspent youth and all. Image

Here you can see the fender which I haven’t done looks a bit hazy compared to the door which is now polished. I’m not making a tremendous amount of difference but in the sun that last .5% is what draws you eye.
Be careful, you can burn the paint and it will pull off .
Absolutely keep it wet and moving. I really mean it that the job is to avoid being aggressive.

If anyone wants more info on what I do:

Strip first (not a normal car wash you need something more aggressive to cut old wax, oils, etc).

Dry throughly.

Tape rubber, non-painted plastics, surfaces like handles that have abnormal shapes & a lot of edges where you won’t be able to get even pad contact.

Then clay. Use fresh clay and make sure you use quick detailer without wax/ceramics (will generally list carnuba as an ingredient any way but this should be just enough to lube the paint surface so clay doesn’t stick. Do this just before you start each section.

As much as I’ve fought it prep really matters to the end result. If any dirt is on the paint it’s going to be used as grit in your polish, dragged over your paint and contaminate your pads.
I use the Torq22d since it is Dual Action (DA) and has a long throw (this means the area continually covered by the pad as it spins is smaller, even when moving slowly) so less heat builds up in one spot on the paint surface. In other words it’s built to be safer for an amateur.

I use chem. guys quantum pads which are designed with a hex grid and a hole in the center which further limits heat buildup on the pad (the center of the pad tends to build the most heat so chem guys removed it for the quantum pads and the hex grid allows small channels for air to flow and also creates gaps in continuous surface contact).

I work small sections (~1.5’x 2’ max) at a time and make sure compound/polish remains wet the entire time. Pads should remain cool and wet as well. (If dry, it’s probably best to clean but at least massage them before they touch the paint). This also gives you a chance to check how a section is progressing and adjust immediately if you need to.

I also move over the section pretty quickly (sort of like a careless vacuum, if that makes sense), without much pressure, but multiple times for a single stage with increased DA speed with each pass. Number of passes increases as the grain gets more fine.

Pads are graded to the compound/polish stored in their own bags. Each compound/polish has dedicated microfiber rags for wipe off. Don’t skimp on the microfibers.

Glaze if you still see swirl marks.

Wax by hand. I’m a fan of literally rubbing the wax into the paint surface with my fingers. You can feel the paint surface and when you get the wax worked into it. Don’t use circles. Just like sanding only with the lines. Wipe clean before it dries. Same thing along the body lines, one way if you have enough microfibers

Buff.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Here’s some shots of the left side now through all stages
(Clay, 3m super duty, chem guys 32, 34, 36, 38, black light, collinite 915)

Left decal went on too!

noahf

Post by noahf » Wed May 05, 2021 6:19 pm

that mirror finish :o

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Wed May 19, 2021 10:37 pm

How's it running with the s/c?
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu May 20, 2021 10:29 am

I’ve actually only had it out of the garage once yet. But I took it to the office a while back, was great to drive it! Was near 90+F day even found some stop a go traffic on the way home the clutch and/or I have worked out our issues and coolant temp stayed fixed right in ideal range never crossing mid point.

I’m still have a ton of work I want to get to including the RaceCapture, S300, and complete the WMI but I’ve been distracted by a number of other things so it’s not been getting any attention.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:19 pm

It’s been forever and really not that big an update but finally got back to doing some polishing. Passenger side done and decal on!

Still good bit of surface to wrap up but nice to make some progress again.

Attachments
IMG_4861.jpg
IMG_4861.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 711 times

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:04 pm

Rear polished all Type R decals on!!!!

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:17 pm

The quarter panels appear wrecked with fences and tools, ;)
Awesome job .

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Stin1 wrote:The quarter panels appear wrecked with fences and tools, ;)
Awesome job .
01-386 needs a proper photo shoot.

Still need to get the roof, hood, and front bumper done then maybe I’ll take it up to Angeles Crest, out to Las Virgenes, or some other local for a drive and some shots.