Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm

Here’s some snips from the data:

For some reason it didn’t properly detect & align to the track. Yet another thing to workout another time. Image

oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Post by oddomatik » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:07 pm

aklackner wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm Here’s some snips from the data:

For some reason it didn’t properly detect & align to the track. Yet another thing to workout another time. Image
Phone GPS has never been great, assuming that's what you're using. I use a Dual XGPS160 at the track. You could probably find an app or data to shift your points over in post if it were a concern for video track layover or whatever.
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

noahf

Post by noahf » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:20 pm

im just a little surprised with how detailed the build is. i think tuning as come so far from the mid 2k's that i way beyond the reliability concern is that your missing out on so much drivability without a good tune. and ive been "ill be at the track once i" for the last 5 years, and 3 different car builds :(

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:21 pm

This direct from the RaceCapture unit with the roof mounted GPS antenna. If I zoom in the capture looks pretty good (I can see the section where they setup a come chicane on the back straight of streets) but it didn’t properly align to the track overlay or cut the laps up. Granted this was all set with auto logging so I didn’t configure the session or confirm the track at all.

oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Post by oddomatik » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:24 pm

I think it is a huge accomplishment to have an actual CA-legal BAR'd car with JRSC. Those not in CA may not realize how much time and effort that takes, and how much value you have likely added to your car in the CA market.

That being said... TUUUUUUNE TIME!

Interesting the roof antenna didn't triangulate properly. Add that to your checklist for next time!
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:32 pm

noahf wrote:im just a little surprised with how detailed the build is. i think tuning as come so far from the mid 2k's that i way beyond the reliability concern is that your missing out on so much drivability without a good tune. and ive been "ill be at the track once i" for the last 5 years, and 3 different car builds :(
As far as getting on the track I can’t say enough good things about Fastlane. There were 10 students and 4-5 instructors and we had each track to ourselves. I spent a lot of time without a car in sight. Image Out of the students 3 where there working on an EVOC program for CHP certifications out there in 2 chargers and an SUV with 0 track prep, which was crazy to see doing 100 on big Willow (the suv passed me at at least one point, and no one went off track!) aside from me the rest were in school rentals (supercharged TCs, FRSs, and a spec Miata for the guy doing his SCCA license).

Plus you get one of these babies Image:

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 pm

I got a chance to sort the garage at least enough to make some room for the car, took a layer of dust off the car, and opened the intake up.

Seems my biggest fears were unfounded there was no evidence any significant amount of dust made it past the CT filter.

I checked the #2 plug and while it confirms a/f is rich that was expected. It wasn’t fouled and showed no indications of damage. With the intake off I could get a good look at the TB, which was also fine. I think the stop screw might be backing out of adjustment a tiny amount. I suspect it would work better overall setup for the GSR throttle cable and pulley (as I converted the edelbrock TB from GSR to ITR pulley). I’ll pull the other plugs tomorrow and see if anything looks significantly out of line, and run a scope up the stube in towards the blower to confirm all looks clean. After that I’ll probably run a compression test to verify everything is healthy mechanically.

Assuming that all checks out I’ll probably send my set of rdx injectors out to RC and have them cleaned, inspected and balanced. While they are out I’ll start work to get the plx wideband, s300, and GSR throttle cable setup in. On the ‘01 I’ll know I need to run a rpm signal wire and figure out some evap system workaround. Once I get the rdx injectors back I’ll get them in and finish up items to prepare for a tune. I’ll plan to have Church to adjust the cams too since I suspect the S2 Tuner cams have a lot of overlap in Vtec profile.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:54 pm

I pulled all the plugs today all show similar indications the car is pretty rich and smelled of fuel.

I ran dry compression testing and it came out pretty much exactly 240 psi across the deck so I take this to mean valves, rings, and head gasket should be in good health.

I’ve also run through all the logs I captured and confirmed there’s no spikes in oil temp. Highest it looks to have hit was ~254f on the first day. That feels like it’s starting to get a bit high but for short periods I’m pretty comfortable with that since I’m running the redline race 40wt (15w40) oil. Oil pressure also looks consistent reading ~70psi on the throttle and ~20 when it drops down to idle.

Next I’ll swap the TB back to the GSR pulley and get the GSR throttle cable in. While the TB is off I’ll run a scoop up the s-tube and inspect the intake track as far as I can reach.

I’ll also drain the race oil, grab a sample to have analyzed, and put in fresh 5w30 and filter.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:46 pm

Impulse buy (wheels I’ve had for a long time but needed some tires)

Storage for now but what does everyone think street or track duty?

Sorry on all the photo repeats, every time I use the app direct now photos just end up replicated and all over the place. Imgur links only from now on.
Attachments
IMG_5240.jpg
IMG_5240.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 938 times
IMG_5236.jpg
IMG_5236.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 938 times

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:42 pm

I'm a big fan of K1's. I haven't personally tried the new RT660's but so far I've read positive feedback from peers in our Tire Tech thread for track use. For street driving, a 200tw tire in the Extreme Performance is pretty much the same all around IMO, wet performance would be the main difference in tread design.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171