A History of 01-0193: Part 6

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
s98d7fs

Re: A History of 01-0193: Part 6

Post by s98d7fs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am

Since I've been documenting the history of this car, I also wanted to include the few things I’ve discovered prior to my ownership.

Sometime in the 10 years / 102,000 miles prior to my ownership, the car had been in some sort of incident (or two) that was not on CarFax, so might’ve been a minor fender-bender(s). The evidence I found is the following:

In the front & front right side of the car:
- The front bumper and passenger side fender had been replaced (front bumper was an RDOT, and passenger fender does not have VIN)
- The driver’s side headlight had internal cracks in the reflector housing of the high beam (no idea how this happened without busting the clear plastic lens too).

In the rear of the car:
- The original rear bumper had been partially repainted on the driver’s side (the paint match wasn’t great under fluorescent light, so could be distinguished apart from the OEM paint).

In both cases, there was no mechanical damage that I could tell -- I’ve had the bumpers off and really checked “behind the curtains”, and the car's alignments always seemed to stay true, so I feel confident that these incidents only resulted in cosmetic damage.

And just as a preview of work that I've done: I've replaced the front and rear bumpers and both headlights with new OEM Honda parts, and the passenger front fender's paint job was actually really good, so left that as is.
I wish I had a better username...

01-0193:
ITR Registry: http://www.integratyper.org/usdm/rides/ ... 010193.htm
ITRCA History: viewtopic.php?t=83

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: A History of 01-0193: Part 6

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Excellent work researching the car's history. That can be part of the fun in owning these cars. The individual badge numbers make it easier to track the history. Another benefit of tagging image posts with the badge number. Kudos for your efforts and thank you for documenting its history further on this site. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

s98d7fs

Summary of Sept-Dec 2011

Post by s98d7fs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 am

Well, three months goes by pretty quick. Here's the next installment of this car's history documenting when I purchased the car and first got it back home (Sept 2011 - Dec 2011):

After seeing the add for this car pop up on <the other forum>, I was extremely keen to check it out. The color was right, the condition was right, and the price was right (seems like an easy sentence to write, but when you’re shopping for these cars, that’s not an easy task). Although it had multiple owners, the car came with documentation from all the previous owners, including the original window sticker. And although the car had a few aftermarket bits on it (JDM ITR Steering wheel, DC Sports Header, Password JDM Intake, Apexi VAFC II, Pioneer headunit, shorter springs, and HIDs), the stock parts came with the car, so I knew I could easily sell those aftermarket bits to offset the overall cost of the car and put it back in OEM shape.

I purchased a one way ticket and flew up to NY in late September 2011 (much to the chagrin of my wife) to check out the car. The owner of the car at the time picked me up from JFK, and we drove about 20 mins to his house where the ITR was kept secure in a garage. His reason for selling was that he and his fiancee were getting married and planning to move into their own place, which, unfortunately, didn't have a garage for the car. Instead of dealing with the stress of keeping the car outside, it’d be better just to sell it and find it a good home so that it didn't end up chopped for parts.

In checking the car out, it really was in great shape, just as advertised. I did notice a few miscellaneous things, that’re expected with a 10 year old car, a scratch or ding here or there, however, nothing that really was extremely alarming. I had a ’98 Integra GS before, so I was a bit familiar with the various checklist of items that go wrong with the car, and this one checked all the boxes. No rust on the exterior of the car. The interior was really in great shape for the age of the car — minimal wear on the driver’s side seat bolster and minimal fading on the rear seat tops. The car ran well too, albeit with a bit more noise from the transmission than I expected (more on that later), so I bought the car.

On the trip back from NY to NC, I learned a few little more fun facts about the car. When the dipstick tube came off in New Jersey, that made gauging the oil level a little harder for the rest of the trip (not a stressful thing at all in an unfamiliar B series motor, right? 😃 ). I also started to notice a few trim bits, interior clips, bolts that I wanted to either replace because of something cosmetic or install just because they weren’t there), so the list just started mounting in my head for the winter project of getting this car “in shape”. I also became increasingly aware of the transmission noise, and I expected that there might be some additional repairs on the horizon, even though the previous owner had recently had the clutch disc replaced. In addition, the shocks seemed to have seen better days — probably due to NY and NJ roads. All in all though, I expected to have ‘to dos’ with the car, so all these items were just simply adding to the list.

In any event, the car made the 10+ hour journey home without issue. I literally was ecstatic that I finally had one of these cars. But now it was time to get to work… In the first 3 months of ownership in 2011, I completed the following:

Swapped OEM parts back on
Removed and reinstalled the OEM steering wheel, airbox, springs, and header. I know some people probably wouldn’t have done this, however, I was trying to operate within a reasonable budget, and aftermarket bits didn't exactly align with what I wanted from the car.

Performed the usual “new used car maintenance":
  • Replaced fluids: Oil (conventional Mobil 5W30 oil with Auto-RX cleaning dose), MTF (OEM Honda), PS Fluid (OEM Honda), Brake Fluid (ATE Typ 200), and Coolant (OEM Honda)
  • Replaced the fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter (all OEM)
  • Purchased two new BF Goodridge GeForce tires (the tires on the car that were getting tossed were essentially summer tires that were at the wearbars), and got an alignment.
  • Performed an initial compression test on the motor (looked decent -- numbers in a pic in the next post).
Performed the following repairs:
  • Used Hondabond to fix the dipstick tube
  • Replaced both tail light gaskets as both tail lights had the typical moisture build up.
  • Replaced (or installed) a various missing/broken bolts, clips, etc.
  • Replaced the torn shift rod boot
  • Had some paintless dent removal performed to get the car a bit more minty.
  • Replaced the rear windshield hatch trim as the mounting tabs were broken and it didn't sit flush with the hatch.
    Replaced tint on a quarter panel (the original tint was installed overtop a sticker, so in order to remove the sticker, the tint had to be pulled first)
  • I also cleaned and lubed the window tracks to make the windows a bit smoother
  • Lastly, unfortunately, the noise in the transmission didn’t get much better even with new MTF and a second MTF flush. I ended up taking the car to have it’s transmission rebuilt, which included all new bearings, clutch disc, pressure plate, a new pilot bearing, lock nut, and that seemed to have done the trick. Post rebuild, the transmission sounded much less grind. :beer:
Just for fun:
  • I added OEM Spash Guards
  • I replaced the pitted OEM amber turn signal lenses with aftermarket amber turn signal lenses (in hindsight, an error I would fix later)
  • And with all the fluid’s getting replaced, I swapped in Spoon magnetic drain plugs on the oil and transmission (because it’s an ITR, you have to hame SOMETHING Spoon-y).
Last edited by s98d7fs on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Pics from Sept-Dec 2011

Post by s98d7fs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 am

Images from the drive home. If you've been down I-95, it's just magical (not really :) )

Now the work begins... Cleaning up the interior and getting to those fluids...

Initial compression numbers:
Last edited by s98d7fs on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Summary of 2012

Post by s98d7fs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

2012 was the first full year I had with the car and it was a blast. I got the car out to 2 autocrosses in the spring and two track events later in the fall, and the car did not disappoint (what more can you say that hasn’t already been said). I continued to make progress getting the car’s maintenance in order, as well as continued on my never-ending quest to get the car as clean and fresh looking as possible.

Maintenance:
  • In the early winter, I changed the oil using conventional Mobil 5W30 for the Auto-Rx rinse phase and ran for 1,400 miles. Then I changed the oil again in the spring to Amsoil 0W30 Synthetic using a Honda PCX filter.
  • Replaced the distributor cap & rotor with OEM parts
  • Performed a valve adjustment
  • Replaced the headlights bulbs with fresh Sylvanias
  • Replaced brake pads all around with OEM pads
  • Replaced rotors with Centric blanks (I didn’t go with the sweet cross drilled and slotted rotors that came with the car 😃 )
  • Two new tires (this completed a full replacement set of tires)
  • Replaced the battery
  • New windshield wiper blades (again with OEM)
  • Later in the year I replaced the PCV valve (I can’t recall why I replaced this since I just had bought a PCV valve in late 2011, but I have a receipt for it, so I must’ve done it!)
  • In the fall after the various driving events, I also changed the oil using Amsoil 0W30 with a Honda PCX filter, and got a UOA performed (came back looking good -- pic below).
Repairs:
  • Since the OEM shocks had seen better days, I replaced shocks with Koni Yellows early in the year, to get prepped for auto crosses and track days later in the year.
  • While driving the car, intermittently I noticed the ABS light flicker. After debugging a bit, turns out the shielding on one of the ABS wheel sensors was torn, exposing the wire, so after replace the cable, that ABS light issue was addressed.
  • In the spring, I noticed that the clutch master cylinder was leaking, so replaced that.
  • Replaced front swaybar endlinks & rubber bushings as the originals just looked tired.
  • The breather chamber on the back of the block was leaking a bit of oil, so I replaced the breather chamber and o-ring.
  • I noticed two bulbs were out in the interior — the gas light and the rear defroster backlight. I unfortunately did more harm than good on this repair. I didn’t order the right bulb for the gas light (so when the gas light lit, it was “dimmer” than it should be) and I recall breaking the tab on the defroster button when I was removing it. (I fix both of these errors later).
  • Later in the year, I encountered the dreaded “intermittent failure to start cold” that plagues these cars. The flavor of the issue I hit was the car failed to start (no crank) only when the car had sat for a while — warm starts worked great. I replaced the main relay, (and had replaced the battery earlier in the year) but that unfortunately time would show that these did not fully address the issue. Since I couldn’t actively recreate the issue, I postponed fully fixing this. (More to come on this one later too).
Miscellaneous things:
  • I seriously detailed the car over the early winter -- full interior cleanup (including shampooing the seats and carpet) and swirl removal & sealant for the exterior
  • Got rid of the cigarette lighter and replaced with an OEM 12v cap from an S2000.
  • Purchased a fuse puller for the OEM fusebox & replaced a few spare fuses that were missing.
  • Replaced front bumper “stiffener” that lays on top of the front bumper in the engine bay (the original was all scratched up).
  • Replaced a front windshield molding that wasn’t seated correctly (probably from when the OEM glass was replaced).
  • Various bolts, screws, and clips were replaced as I noticed them needing replacing.
  • Another round of paintless dent removal was performed.
  • Front splash shield had usual droop and the front fender splash shields had small holes (from the tire rubbing probably from bottoming out while lowered), so these were all replaced.
  • While reinstalling the OEM steering wheel, I recall cracking cruise control trim cover, and while I was in there, I replaced the trim underneath the steering column as this piece was just scratched up from keys dangling out of the ignition over time.
  • Pulled off the rear wiper and replaced with the metal OEM plug.
  • Replaced the metal ECU cover (the original was missing).
  • Replaced the battery ground cable (the original was a bit deformed on the terminal connector).
  • Purchased a replacement set of OEM floor mats (all black) and had a heel pad installed on the driver’s side mat.
Last edited by s98d7fs on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Pics from 2012

Post by s98d7fs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm

In 2012, the car made it out to auto crosses at Danville and NCCAR with Tarheel Sports Car Club, and two HPDEs at VIR (probably with TrackDaze). The car actually got snapped in a pic that was used in one of the adverts for a follow on THSCC event later that year:

The UOA I had performed after the year of events also looked decent, considering the use:
Last edited by s98d7fs on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Summary of 2013

Post by s98d7fs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 am

The following year, 2013, was more of the same — excellent times and just a few little bits of work here and there. I believe I made it out to another 2 autocross events and 2 HPDEs this year, and the car was great (despite my selection of BFGoodridge GeForce tires the previous year — the tires were slowly chunking at the track events :) )

Maintenance performed this year:
  • Replaced the belts for the alternator, a/c compressor and power steering pump.
  • Replaced the front compensator bushings, front swaybar d-bracket bushings.
  • Changed the MTF using OEM Honda (no UOA on this as this was the first change after break-in).
  • Oil change at the end of the year w/ Amsoil 0W30 (w/ UOA below)
Repairs performed:
  • The car was taking a while to heat up during the first part of the year. I expected this was the thermostat, so I got the parts and upon disassembly the thermostat was indeed stuck open, so that was replaced. While I was in the engine bay swapping that, I replaced the large radiator hoses, small diameter throttle body coolant hoses (including fresh OEM clamps), and coolant reserve tank hoses, and refiled with fresh coolant. I also replaced a few vacuum hoses during the thermostat repair as well: PCV vacuum hose, valve cover breather hose, IACV vacuum hoses, coolant bypass outlet hose, oil cooler outlet hoses, the three heater coolant hoses. Again, all with new clamps.
  • Replaced positive batter/starter cable assembly (similar to the ground cable, this one was overtightened and tearing at the terminal connection.
  • Replaced the idle pulley (I think this was perhaps making a noise? Can’t recall…). While I was messing with the thermostat and hoses, I also replaced the breather pipe and the idler pulley bracket ;because they had a bit of rust on ‘em.
  • I also noticed that the rear engine mount was completely shot (read that the rubber was completely broken down), so that was replaced along with all the other engine mounts.
Miscellaneous items:
  • Replaced transmission ground & valve cover ground cables (just because)
  • Installed driver’s side floor mat holder (original one was missing)
  • Installed new OEM foglights and had clear film installed on them (the ones that came on the car were a little pitted from use)
  • Replaced the console trim surrounding the shifter/cupholders (scratches, etc)
  • Got a new dipstick as well (the old one was a little rusty & stained)
  • Some security cleanup and reworks

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Pics from 2013

Post by s98d7fs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

The ol' R got a beard during some winter weather:

In addition to using it at driving events, I also strap my wife's and my bikes to the ITR for cycling events:

And here's that engine UOA for the year:
Last edited by s98d7fs on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Summary of 2014

Post by s98d7fs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm

2014 was a little slower in the car department. I had started going to grad school part time towards the end of 2013, and I was still working full time, AND we decided to move to a new house, so my free time for car stuff got a big chunk cut out of it. Despite that though, I still found some time to tinker on the car, but unfortunately, no driving events (:sad face:).

Maintenance performed :
  • Replaced air filter with new OEM
  • Replaced the spark plug wires with OEM Black wires
  • Replaced the clutch line with a stainless steel one from Techna-Fit
  • Replaced the shifter bushings with new OEM rubber
Repairs:
  • Had one hanger break on me early in the year, so replaced all the rubber exhaust hangers (the bushings on the b-pipe as well as the muffler)
  • In the fall, the intermittent "no start when cold" started to bother me again, so I replaced the starter with a remanufactured OE Denso unit, and that finally fixed the issue (starts up every time as of Jan 2018)
Miscellaneous work:
  • Replaced the interior door pull trim (just to freshen these up as they get scratched and gross over time).
  • Replaced a hatch trim piece as I boogered up a mounting tab when removing the rear wiper the year prior
  • Replaced a hood seal (rubber trim around the frontmost part of the car) as the original was torn.
  • Replaced the engine bay fuse box cover (the original had it’s sticker flaking off)
  • Replaced the dash ash tray interior panel (I’m guessing someone smoked at least a cigarette or two as the ashtray was used, but it didn’t seem like the tray was used heavily). I also replaced the rear rear ash tray as it’s metal bits were rusted.
  • Replaced the rear tailgate wire as the original had a slit cut to install a GPS tracker (that particular security system, I had removed, but wanted to ensure that no water leaked into the cabin).
  • Replaced the rear view mirror gray trim piece (original had some marks on it).
  • I had got a good deal on some new OEM foglights, so I had clear film installed on them and then replaced the OEM fogs that were on the car.
  • I got tired of the "dim" low gas light, so I bought all new dash gauge cluster bulbs and replaced those (also hit the dash light dimmer switch's bulb as well). The only remaining original bulbs at this point were in the climate control, which I get to later...
  • Towards the end of the year, I had some dents removed
  • I installed some sweet Autovation pedal covers.
Last edited by s98d7fs on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

01-0193:

s98d7fs

Summary 2015

Post by s98d7fs » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 pm

2015 was mostly an “in school” year (graduates at the end of Oct) so I didn't play too much with the cars for most of the year.

Maintenance performed:
  • Oil change at 1/2015 w/ Amsoil 0W30 (w/ UOA)
  • Transmission fluid change at 3/2015 (Honda MTF (w/UOA)
  • New set of front OEM brake pads for the street

Repairs:
  • Replacement trunk actuator (original died)
  • Replaced all the bulbs in the climate control, and replaced the defogger switch (I broke a clip on the switch years earlier), and replaced the hazard light switch because of a scratch on the original.
  • In diagnosing an annoying clutch squeak, I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and clutch release fork boot (because I tore the original during removal).
  • In October, I graduated from grad school, so I had the itch to do some prepwork for 2016’s track season. I finally got a set of real tires — RE71Rs all around, and along with the better tires, I got some Carbotech XP10 pads for the front and XP8s for the rear.
  • And lastly, I got a sweet deal on some new OEM headlights, so had clear film installed on those and swapped ‘em (the original headlights weren’t minty -- one had a bulb burst in it and had glass bits in it, and the other had a crack in the reflector housing).
Miscellaneous:
  • I had planned to replace the Exhaust Manifold Gaskets (from the gasket between the block and header to the cat’s flex gasket) since I had reused the stock ones when I swapped back in the OEM header when I purchased the car.
    • I actually ended purchasing these and not getting around to it until the cylinder head rebuild in 2017).
    • I did the ol’ bushing refresh. Swapped all remaining original bushings on the suspension with OEM rubber. That included new front and rear upper control arms, new rear lower control arms, new rubber bushings in the front lower arms and rear trailing arms, new end links front and rear, new d-brackets and rubber swaybar bushings front and rear, and swaybar rubber grommets that the end links attach to.
    • More paintless dent removal (I apparently need to buy stock in PDR, because I’ve spent more than I’d like on it…)

01-0193: