Tire Information Thread

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
Xian

Re: Tire Information Thread

Post by Xian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 am

I haven’t really looked but Discount Tire Direct was running some specials last week. I heard hey were discounting the RE71R (plus a manufacturers rebate).
Christian - Closet Honda fanboi in FL

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm

^Thank you. I've been waiting to order 205/50/15 RE71R from Costco in Canada. They won't sell older tires so they pulled them off their website in December when I was ready to buy with their rebate.

They actually called Bridgestone and let me know they are manufacturing them right now for delivery to Canada in late February. Just in case anyone is looking for RE71R the fresh ones are on the way.

Discount tire has the $70 USD mail in rebate on again Feb 1st to 10th so I will see how they match up for pricing.
They send you a $70 prepaid VISA card.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm

A question I have on tires is about the tech rules. I'm hoping to have my car ready for the East event this year but still not sure. Anyway, what's the reasoning behind not allowing R comp tires in the novice and intermediate groups? I'll be needing to buy tires for my wheels and this will probably be a factor in what I buy... I've been leaning toward the 205/45/16 RE-71R's anyway, but I guess I'm just curious toward the reasoning.

shuttlepilot

Post by shuttlepilot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:37 pm

DC4MC wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm A question I have on tires is about the tech rules. I'm hoping to have my car ready for the East event this year but still not sure. Anyway, what's the reasoning behind not allowing R comp tires in the novice and intermediate groups? I'll be needing to buy tires for my wheels and this will probably be a factor in what I buy... I've been leaning toward the 205/45/16 RE-71R's anyway, but I guess I'm just curious toward the reasoning.
it likely has something to do with the fact that R-comps break loose characteristics are generally less progressive at the limit. A lot of them give little warning before exceeding grip limits and also little screeching noise warning. Essentially you can overdrive the with R-comps to absurd speeds and find yourself suddenly out of grip when the tire breaks free.

The lower limits of street tires help beginners learn the limits of their car and how to react without dipping into dangerous speeds and little warning when doing so.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 pm

shuttlepilot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:37 pm
DC4MC wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm A question I have on tires is about the tech rules. I'm hoping to have my car ready for the East event this year but still not sure. Anyway, what's the reasoning behind not allowing R comp tires in the novice and intermediate groups? I'll be needing to buy tires for my wheels and this will probably be a factor in what I buy... I've been leaning toward the 205/45/16 RE-71R's anyway, but I guess I'm just curious toward the reasoning.
it likely has something to do with the fact that R-comps break loose characteristics are generally less progressive at the limit. A lot of them give little warning before exceeding grip limits and also little screeching noise warning. Essentially you can overdrive the with R-comps to absurd speeds and find yourself suddenly out of grip when the tire breaks free.

The lower limits of street tires help beginners learn the limits of their car and how to react without dipping into dangerous speeds and little warning when doing so.
That is interesting thanks.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

Xian

Post by Xian » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Yup, that’s always been the rationale behind prohibiting R-comps. Honestly, I’d sorta forgotten it existed and, with the advances in street tires, would be willing to argue it should be adjusted/changed. The R-comps to keep folks off of are Hoosier A’s or R’s. Stuff like the RA1, R888, and NT01 aren’t particularly better or worse for new drivers than the 71R/Rival-S/SUR4G.

Obviously just my $0.02.

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 am

My original intent was to go after some of the new R888r's. After finding that in the rules and reading the review earlier in the thread I may just be going with some RE-71r's. Thanks for the responses! :thumbup:

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

DC4MC wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 am My original intent was to go after some of the new R888r's. After finding that in the rules and reading the review earlier in the thread I may just be going with some RE-71r's. Thanks for the responses! :thumbup:
Christian/others are correct. The original intent was to aid a new/less-experienced driving. Going full-tilt on tires could lead to uncontrolled speeds, an uncontrolled spin, or worse, both. Myself and others are available to be a sound board for additional questions. Posting here or in the Expo thread will generate the most responses, but we can always chat privately as well.
Xian wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm Yup, that’s always been the rationale behind prohibiting R-comps. Honestly, I’d sorta forgotten it existed and, with the advances in street tires, would be willing to argue it should be adjusted/changed. The R-comps to keep folks off of are Hoosier A’s or R’s. Stuff like the RA1, R888, and NT01 aren’t particularly better or worse for new drivers than the 71R/Rival-S/SUR4G.
Yes, street tires have improved dramatically through the years. I still often opt for street tires due to fog, rain, or simply driving to/from the track. Fortunately, we have affordable options and smart individuals like yourself offering feedback. :beer:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Xian

Post by Xian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Agreed with Ryan ^^^. If it’s me, street tires are a better option for track days anyway. I used you could make an argument for the NT01 since they wear well and they’re cheap but no sense breaking the bank to run R-Comps.

For a track day tire, check out the Hankook RS4 and Maxxis VR1. Solid options with reasonable wear rates. They’re a tiny bit slower than the 71R but more heat tolerant and wear better.

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:09 pm

The car is going to be a street car. I want to drive it on nice days and things like that. The plan is to do a few HPDE's a year though. The goal is to eventually snag a set of 15x8 wheels to put designtated track tires on. But to get the car back on the road I'll be running my 16x7 wheels for everything. I'll take a look at the other 2 you're recommending as well!