Brake Rotor options

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
97cwr

Brake Rotor options

Post by 97cwr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Not sure what rotors to go with for occasional track use (couple times a year). I currently have brembo blanks and after a handful of track days, noticing some hairline cracks. Must get them replaced before the expo. Just wondering what do you guys run? I'm currently using ferodo ds2500 pads and its a 97 integra type R. Any other good options out there? Stoptech has a cryo treated option. Wondering if it actually works? Any help will be appreciated.

hootrscootr

Re: Brake Rotor options

Post by hootrscootr » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:46 pm

I have the cheap blanks from O'Reillys or maybe it is autozone and they work perfect for the occassional track days. I'm running hawk blues fwiw.
00-1175

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 pm

i have stoptech cyro treated rotors I got from a friend from that the car was wrecked at the track. I don't know if it would have been worth it if I bought them new. Honestly I would have just done the rockauto or parts store method b/c rotors are a wear item are reasonably priced especially compared to newer cars
-Andrew Wong

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am

I just use cheap rotors, usually from RockAuto or AZ. Part number is usually 3296 or something like that offered by a few manufacturers. Prices have come up on them recently but usually still on the cheap side. Rotors are a wear item for me so I replace them often since its so cheap and easy.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Brake rotors are a wear item. I recommend cheap and effective options. Upcharges like cryo/slotted/drilled have not proven to be effective in increasing the lifespan. Autozone and other stores may offer 2yr warranty options.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

AssPenny

Post by AssPenny » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:27 am

RTW DC2R wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am I just use cheap rotors, usually from RockAuto or AZ. Part number is usually 3296 or something like that offered by a few manufacturers. Prices have come up on them recently but usually still on the cheap side. Rotors are a wear item for me so I replace them often since its so cheap and easy.
Plus Autozone has a 2yr warranty so you can just keep swapping them out. Also, by hairline, do you mean those little tiny surface cracks? If so, you don't need to worry about them as that is normal. When you get a crack all the way to the end, then worry about it. If you are concerned, I'd pick up a setup a Autozone rotors and toss them in a car as back up in case you need to replace at the track. Then again, they are so cheap that it may be worth swapping now so you don't have to do it at the track.

Craig - who use to replaces rotors yearly.

97cwr

Post by 97cwr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Ya the hairline cracks are just in the center portion not all the way through. Gonna replace anyway, just to be safe. also running a new pad so might as well mate them together. looking forward to the expo! it will be my first.

ddwelch

Post by ddwelch » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:31 pm

https://jhpusa.com/collections/front-ro ... onda-acura

I bought these and thought price was not too bad. Shipping was killer though so I will be looking for an alternative option.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 pm

No matter what pad or rotor I have ever used on all my Hondas that I have used I end up with warped front rotors before the pads need to be replaced. Kind of bummed to see the brembos failing. The quality of the aftermarket Chinese made rotors is sub par to even Chinese made rotors made 10 years ago. Some dude replaced his rotors with vato zone rotors and had to return them. They were warped off the shelf . He had to change them a few times before getting a set that weren't warped. An employee told him he has people return 5-6 times for a set that wasn't warped.

97cwr

Post by 97cwr » Tue May 01, 2018 12:20 am

I pulled the trigger on the centric premium rotors. They are an “upgrade” (whatever that is?)to the standard centric rotors that ddwelch bought. 40ish dollars Cdn each. Brembos cost me almost 4 times as much each. Well see how they hold up at the expo?... maybe while I’m down there I’ll pick up a couple sets of the autozone rotors most people use...Here in Canada we don’t have an autozone.