JRSC Help\Info request

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

JRSC Help\Info request

Post by aklackner » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:42 pm

This is sort of a long shot, and long winded, but wanted to give it a try. It's likely I'm overlooking info or maybe there's someone here who's interested in helping me out on the EO sticker for a monetary thank you.

I recently purchased a JRSC kit (thanks Dave), I'm still debating if I'll install. I was always curious but sort of a mismatch with the rest of the build and JDM 4.7fd trans for a dd.

There's a couple of things I'm trying to work out, chief among them is the EO sticker which Moss still won't sell to anyone other than an original owner who registered the warranty. (yeah I'm in Cali)

Other bits I could use any direction on:
  • Fuel enrichment relay missing: not sure if this is a common\easy to source relay or something more complex but need some ideas on how to address.
  • Throttle roller\bracket missing: so I would like to source a replacement or alternative for this to avoid having to move to gsr throttle body and cable slack issues associated.
  • Blower service just to be cautious - Moss recommended PSE supercharger. I might try Eaton first since they are pretty much up the street from my work but I don't know if they'd even do service.
  • FPR adapter plate - I don't have much info on this but I think this is required w/ oem FPR as part of enrichment, but unsure?
  • PCV\Breather system\Vacuum - with boost ~5lbs I'm guessing the PCV would probably hold without leaking pressure to crankcase, but feel like this would likely prevent any venting of crankcase from normal pressures especially at high rpm. I know it's common for turbo setups to pull additional vacuum from the intake flow. I assume this would be pretty easy with SC since you'd just have to connect before the TB. Anyone doing this?
I'm also interested in thoughts of others running the kit in original form, especially anything you wish you were aware of before doing the kit. I'm not super concerned with additional heat since I don't have plans to up the boost, already use a Koyo radiator w/ supercool, Hondata IM, gasket, and thermal tb gasket (coolant temps rarely exceeded 190, typically only in 100F+, after running aggressively then getting dead stopped in traffic).

To answer\preempt any argument of probably viewpoints, I understand the superiority of turbos and prefer the purity of NA but to take my build further with either of those options would require modifications beyond which could be easily reversed to clear CA emissions testing and more simply I just can't shake a curiosity about this kit.

Info about the build that will be going into the ITR:
B18C5 (oem rdot block, usdm pistons, crank)
Used JDM 98+ head (iirc skimmed .005, portflow ITR specific valve job)
Dual layer HG (IIRC compression is a little above 11.1)
Sk2 Tuner 1 cams
98+ OEM header + JDM Cat + Mugen cat back (twinloop)
Custom OEM icebox
S300 tuned by Church (213hp, 151tq dynapack)
https://honda-tech.com/forums/appearanc ... w-3275268/
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=201

Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Re: JRSC Help\Info request

Post by Gotin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:17 am

Try giving LHT performance a call in Florida. They have a history with supercharging a b18c5. IIRC they make custom things related to intercoolers, TB, and coating services. They were a great help when I owned a crx/ d16a6/ jrsc setup. :thumbup:
-BJ-

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm

It's looking more likely that I'll give the JRSC a try.
Here's some of the answers I've found to my questions and other general information I've learned along the way
  • CARB sticker was worked out. PM if you need a replacement, I might be able to help
  • I managed to get the last throttle cable roller LHT could find, but they said they normally ran overbored GSR throttle body and cable instead of the roller. Can go Edelbrock Performer X to keep it totally CARB legal but watch TPS since I've heard rumors of issues.
  • It's generally not recommended to run the JRSC kit's Fuel enrichment but....
  • The low boost JRSC Fuel Management Unit is a common SPDT (switch over) relay between the IAT sensor and ecu. This is switched by a hobbs pressure switch @~1psi. The pressure switch is ground, 12v switched power comes from evap purge bypass solenoid or other switched 12v source. Wire a 15k ohm resistor between 87 and 87a. If pressure switch is NO then connect the ecu side of the IAT wire to 87a (NC) and IAT sensor to 30 (common). This should bypass the resistor when not in boost. At boost the relay will switch over and IAT sensor signal will pass through the 15k ohm resistor, essentially telling the ecu its something like -32deg, which will in turn add a touch more fuel. If pressure switch is NC then connect ecu side to 87(NO).
  • The High boost JRSC needed more fuel and wasn't CARB legal so used a MAP controller to do this. To get map sensor to read boost instead of just vacuum you have to use a MAP relocation adapter like the Merc unit, available on Heeltoe. This allows reading map from the manifold instead of the TB. The map sensor is then connected to the JRSC MAP controller then to the ecu. This can also be used to more accurately tune with s300 just skip the JRSC map controller
  • The JRSC boost timing controller simply allowed for variable retarding of timing to, de-tune when aggressive timing wasn't required or temps were getting too high.
  • The FPR adapter was a simple 90deg adapter, commonly available, to avoid crimping the fuel return line on the manifold. If the oem fpr return nipple already has an angle to it (I think JDM may have) this may not be necessary.
  • The JRSC FPR connected down stream from the oem fpr on the fuel return hose. It would increasingly restrict fuel returning to the tank as boost increased. This would effectively increase the pressure in the fuel rail
  • The PCV system for better or worse is routed to the nose on the SC, this means it only sees vacuum but also means you're pulling crankcase vapors in to the blower. I'll probably add an oil/air separator after the pcv (like cusco) this should be still be legal since these filters are supposed to be exempt\excluded from CARB.
  • Blower service will be expensive.
  • I'll also likely add a water injection system, it seems this should also be legal and will help manage risk of detonation at WOT
  • For an s300 the 92-95 gsr ecu had knock sensor board, this could provide an extra way to de-tune if temps get high, though it's also reported that the oem knock sensors are overly sensitive\produce false positives, at least in some cases, which would lead to de-tuning when undesired

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 pm

Glad you found more info from LHT! Most of that is way over my head so the jrsc kit is much better being in your hands.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.