Suspension tuning - dampers, spring rates, etc.

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
aklackner

Re: Suspension tuning - dampers, spring rates, etc.

Post by aklackner » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 pm

On PCI UCA is there any concern about the exposed spherical right over the tire?

I thought about giving them a try since I haven’t been thrilled with the Ingalls front camber kit (and it confuses my alignment shop) but especially if it’s seeing any street time wouldn’t that bearing be likely to suffer from dirt off the tire?

Xian

Post by Xian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:09 pm

aklackner wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 pm On PCI UCA is there any concern about the exposed spherical right over the tire?

I thought about giving them a try since I haven’t been thrilled with the Ingalls front camber kit (and it confuses my alignment shop) but especially if it’s seeing any street time wouldn’t that bearing be likely to suffer from dirt off the tire?
I’m sure it’ll have a shorter service interval than the stock stuff or a sealed option like the Skunk 2 arms. If the intention is to use it in salt/winter conditions, I’d shy away from the PCI stuff but for weekend or DD’er use in non-salt conditions, I’m sure it would be fine for several years at least. From the racer buddies I’ve known who’ve run them, they’re a robust part and PCI has offered up cheap replacement parts when stuff gets broken in a crash. Seems like good folks to buy from.
Christian - Closet Honda fanboi in FL

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 pm

So an update to my eibach sway bar, it looks like I had it installed upside down and ran it like that for a few events :oops:

I should have known something was weird with how my sway bar and LCA was making contact with each other, but the eibach logo was right side up when the bar was upside down, and the logo is upside down when the bar is in the correct orientation
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:48 pm

aw614 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 pm So an update to my eibach sway bar, it looks like I had it installed upside down and ran it like that for a few events :oops:

I should have known something was weird with how my sway bar and LCA was making contact with each other, but the eibach logo was right side up when the bar was upside down, and the logo is upside down when the bar is in the correct orientation
A shop did the same thing to my car with an OEM JDM 23mm RSB. :hammer:

I would inspect the endlinks. Mine were toast afterwards, the bushings were fried and the endlink bodies were bent.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:00 am

I have a feeling my driver side endlink was slightly bent, it isn't noticeable, but I had a chance to look at it and it looked weird to me visually. The bushings seem fine, but I'll be watching it. I was able to order the endlinks last night.

I can't seem to keep the ASR brackets and bushings from staying on when I drive the in the neighborhood, they seem to slide out. which is annoying, so I'll stick with the energy bracket and bushings.

On the plus side, it seems having the bar upside down made speed bumps unbearable and weird pogoing all but go away.

I should prepare a build thread, been really putting that off b/c I never take pics when I work on things
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm the same way. I'm in the process of migrating all my old photos off Photobucket. Thread-related, my first post will be my new suspension install. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo

Purplepassiongsr

Post by Purplepassiongsr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

More of a general question. But was looking to upgrade my koni race/gc (stock rate) setup for eibach r2s but see they're discontinued now...any comparable suggestions?

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 am

Purplepassiongsr wrote:More of a general question. But was looking to upgrade my koni race/gc (stock rate) setup for eibach r2s but see they're discontinued now...any comparable suggestions?
Have you considered re-valving the existing Koni’s?

Saving for later:
-Corner Weight reading
Type-R Expo

Xian

Post by Xian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:13 pm

The issue with revalving is that you also sorta want the bodies shortened... and by the time you do that, you’re spending close to as much as it would cost to buy new Koni Race (revalved/shortened). I’d suggest looking at the cost for them new and then sell off the current shocks or toss them in the spares bucket. Alternately, you can snag Whitener’s shocks for about the same price and have an AWESOME package.
Christian - Closet Honda fanboi in FL

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Something that has been on my mind lately and I recently encountered at the track a couple weeks back.

3 wheeling under braking:

Good or bad? how can we reduce this? would we want to induce this?

Now, this has rarely happened to me in my car. It only seems to have happened in my car when the entry to a turn is off camber (opposite of banked), which makes sense to me. However, someone I met was having this issue on every turn at Chuckwalla. This led to problems of him consistently dragging the unloaded tire to the point of flat spotting it. The only advice I gave was to not trail brake if tire wear was his main concern. Could he have done anything with rebound adjustment to help with this? soften rebound in the rear?