Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:21 pm

It does look good. Going to be a very nice black color, which is one of the best looking colors when clean like that.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

noahf

Post by noahf » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:59 pm

this is one of the big problems i have. i want both my cars to be painted but i have zero trust in painters when it comes too: deadlines and money. They always seem to underestimate and overcharge. One of my friends car has been at the painter for 28 months and he doesnt even have samples yet. This is why I was poking you in the pm on your paint info. Other than the delay, are you happy with their work quality?

i always get the sense that painters either do insurance jobs because its easy money/lots of work, or they charge crazy money for customs. the guy that just wants his 98 integra resprayed to look nice is stuck in no mans land.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm

noahf wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:59 pm
i always get the sense that painters either do insurance jobs because its easy money/lots of work, or they charge crazy money for customs. the guy that just wants his 98 integra resprayed to look nice is stuck in no mans land.
28 months is a long time, and I thought my friend's dad's Mazda RX2 restoration taking nearly a year was bad.

That no man's land sucks, and how I feel in what I want to do with getting my car repainted, not looking for a showcar level of paint job, but I also want something that will look decent and last, not to mention not overspray over the little details on the car (key hole over, rear bumper and front bumper black sections.
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm very happy with the shop (Studio City Auto Collision) and while I can always niggle about this or that, I really don't have any complaints. Their work is excellent and I couldn't have done better for pricing in the area.

On timing\delays, the initial estimate was that it would take 2 mos., by the time I pick it up we'll be just at about 3. I was clear that I wasn't in a rush so they weren't in a big rush. Also the more frequent rains Feb. and Mar. slowed things down. Once the weather stayed clear consistently progress was pretty steady. If timing was a priority for me I could have pushed things, I preferred to give them space since I'm not on a timeline and it also would have given me some leverage if pricing looked like it was going to shift beyond the quote.

I do recommend them but I'm not really sure how motivated they are for any more full re-paint (non-collision) work right now. The shop manager was telling me the other day that he wouldn't want to take another job like mine for less than $12k but I don't know that I'd take that on face value.

Feel free to PM me if seriously interested in getting some work done.

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Glad to see it will be heading home soon!

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Home again, home again jigitty-jig.

Realized there was no way to store all the individual parts so put the body back together, not permanently but staged form now until I go through all the nuts and bolts to get things in the right place and aligned.

Last edited by aklackner on Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

ImageImage

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat May 04, 2019 11:44 am

A little something was missing

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Looks pretty. Did you have them paint a oem hood in the event you want to change it up ?

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks.
No the hood that came with the shell wasn’t OEM so I didn’t want to invest in having imperfections repaired and painting it.

Storing it freshly painted would also have been problematic.

I may see how well it matches if I give it a color sanding and polish, just in case I do need it at some point.