Restoring sun-faded rear ITR seats?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ff_terror

Restoring sun-faded rear ITR seats?

Post by ff_terror » Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 am

Has anyone done it? I searched online, and it seems a lot of people talk about dying them black again, but no one has actually posted results or tips on how to do that. Has anyone here done it?

Vtecwreck

Re: Restoring sun-faded rear ITR seats?

Post by Vtecwreck » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:20 am

In for replies! I know there used to be a thread on HT. I’ll have to search to see if I can find it.
98-0148: DeRicing Project
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:08 am

I have no idea but I'm sure you'll find something helpful soon. I want to learn how to clean seats (mild dirt) but haven't made an effort yet to learn about it lol.

:thumbup:
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

carpayments4life

Post by carpayments4life » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:17 pm

To clean the seats (don't soak the suede).
Use 1 oz of Woolite Extra Dark Care with 3 oz of water and a eyeglass polishing cloth.
Eyeglass/wineglass polishing towels are very, very slick and you can not see any hooks in the threads.

Don't apply too much liquid, because you don't want the suede to get soaked. If you wash your seats 3 weekends in a row, the suede will be fluffy/velvety. If you try to do it all in one hour, the suede, when dry, will be hard and flat.

You can buy a Suede cleaning kit with an eraser (on a handle) and a brush, at Target or WalMart, for those shinny packed down areas. Tip: Don't use the eraser directly on any red stitching. Once it frays up it will keep fraying, until it breaks
If the red stitching is faded, buy an extra fine point, permanent red marker and gently transfer the red from the marker to each stitch. Each stitch will suck the fluid from the marker, so be quick about it.

Don't die your "blueish" seat fabric, paint it.
Google "spray fabric paint".

Mask off the red stitching. Place the left edge of the tape clearly, yet barely over the stitching.
Spray LIGHTLY, from the left towards the right, one time ONLY. Wait ten minutes and remove the tape.

Mask off the red stitching, again. Place the right edge of the tape clearly, yet barely over the stitching.
Spray LIGHTLY, from the right towards the left, one time ONLY. Wait ten minutes and remove the tape.

You want a super light coating, so that the black paint doesn't "wick" thru the cloth, under the tape, and on to the red stitching. Less is More.

g1itchgsr

Post by g1itchgsr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:51 am

I used a suede brush to help get the black’ness in the fabric back and used a red sharpie for the red stitching.

Sp00nFedFilms

Post by Sp00nFedFilms » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm

g1itchgsr wrote:I used a suede brush to help get the black’ness in the fabric back and used a red sharpie for the red stitching.
Any before and after pics?

g1itchgsr

Post by g1itchgsr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Sp00nFedFilms wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm
g1itchgsr wrote:I used a suede brush to help get the black’ness in the fabric back and used a red sharpie for the red stitching.
No sorry. It didn’t fix the fade completely but it make it look better.

Sp00nFedFilms

Post by Sp00nFedFilms » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:35 pm

g1itchgsr wrote:
Sp00nFedFilms wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm
No sorry. It didn’t fix the fade completely but it make it look better.
Can you post one of them now?