Brake Pads Discussion

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Re: Brake Pads Discussion

Post by aklackner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm

Are you using the upper retainer spring on the calipers? If so maybe check the shape to ensure it's putting enough pressure on the pads or try replacing it.
Many ITR pads I've seen will have about 1mm of play in the bracket (with guides\sliders in place), the upper retainer spring helps hold the pad down as it's making initial contact with the rotor and should prevent clunking from the pad moving in the bracket.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Is the upper retainer spring on this diagram?

ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:17 pm

#12, slips into the slot on the top of the caliper (from the inside) and the tabs push down on the pads.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Thank you! I'll check it out.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Post by Gotin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 am

*Revive*

Since owning my ITR I have used powerstop pads and rotors. This has been just fine for street use/ spirited driving. I did one autox event last year (615+ tires) and felt that the pads got soft after a few runs but still managed fine. In August I will be doing an open track day at mid-ohio (test and tune/ lead-pace) and want to change the brakes prior to. I was looking at the HPS pads or all oem with brembo blank rotors. My skill set is beginner (at best) so I don't think that the car will see high speeds at the track and/or another autox event this year. Hawks' website reports that the HPS pad is not to be used on the track, but would one event really be that bad? Would the OEM hold up just fine. Thoughts..
-BJ-

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 am

My 2 cents and a lot of assumptions lol

I guess it depends on the auto X layout but I have a hard time thinking you got your brakes hot enough on an auto X course to cause them to get "soft." Even with just a powerstop pad which is probably just a OEM equivalent "performance" street pad. Did you check your brake fluid and/or bleed the system with fresh fluid?

I dont know anything about the HPS pads but they are likely similar to a performance street pad. If you arent all that experienced on track and using a DOT tire like the 615 you will probably be fine with them for light track duty. I wouldnt expect you to be too hard on the brakes but you also may be timid and use the brakes a lot more which can get them hot. HP+ might be a better option as they can take more heat. A lot of ITR owners run them when they first start out on track (I did). Just stick with OEM or equivalent for the rear.

Dont forget to check that fluid and maybe use something like an ATE 200 amber if you arent already. Old, contaminated fluid is just as bad, if not worse, than a sub par pad.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

Gotin

Post by Gotin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks for the insight.

Prior to the above described autox event, the pads and rotors were cleaned and the surfaces sanded by Acura. The fluid was changed with whatever Acura uses in an ITR. Maybe my terminology is incorrect saying the brakes got "soft". When moving they bite well but after a few runs, the pedal felt like I was pushing it closer to the floor for that initial second. I do not feel this at all during street driving.

Hawk does not recommend street use for the HP+, this is what concerns me with keeping them on the car year round. As an FYI: the car is driven under 2k miles a year.
-BJ-

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:51 am

Not sure how mid Ohio is with regards to brake pads, but I would try talking to other people with fwd cars at similar power levels. I know with the local track near me (The FIRM), a friend told me that you better use high temp fluid and a track pad and I did the high temp fluid, but ran stock pads. The track I was on is known to be hard on tires and brakes and he had a civic with a p8r b20...On the flipside, another friend of mine went to robling road and was racing how his cheapo autozone pads held up well, did some research and apparently robling is really easy on pads lol

Sometime late into my 2nd 15 minute session I was noticing my brakes taking more floor effort. It got worse in the 3rd session and the drive home was sketch in the rain. When I was able to inspect the brakes, it turns out they had burned up from the heat.

I went in thinking I'd take it easy and that didn't happen :lol:

It probably is better to be prepared vs having something similar occur to you at the track.
-Andrew Wong

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:48 pm

HP+ work fine on the street. You might have to tap the brakes a couple times to warm them up but as long as you are aware not to hit VTEC out of your driveway you will be fine. Pad manufacturers are required to tell you that track pads are not suitable for the street because some pads need to heat up to work properly, and a lot of them are high dust, eat rotors, etc. OEM pads dont require any heat usually and are rotor friendly, etc.

I run track pads on the street all the time, mainly because I am too lazy to change them and I dont drive the car that often. Ive driven Hawk HP+, HT10, and carbotech XP10/8 on the street without a problem. I make sure to pump the brakes a few times before I get up to speed or coming to stops. Dust and noise is the only problem lol.

Mid Ohio doesnt have a lot of high speed braking zones, I think the HP+ with fresh fluid would be fine there.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

Gotin

Post by Gotin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Solid advise guys. I would rather be safe then sorry. Thanks
-BJ-