B Series Trans for DD duties

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
noahf

Re: B Series Trans for DD duties

Post by noahf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 pm

i actually do think it has aftermarket (so im assuming firm) motor and trans mounts. i was wondering if that would increase in cabin noise. maybe ill switch those out to stock before switching trans. thanks RTW

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 pm

If firm rubber additional noise will very likely be marginal. Poly mounts will pretty quickly add to vibration, specifically the rear motor mount. If all original stick with OEM mounts. If looking for small “upgrades” re-enforced rubber might be worthwhile but could mean reduced life (depending on brand?).

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Im surprised no one has made a custom six speed B series transmission, usinf the JDM 4.7 and with the stock ITR exhaust and cat, it is barely tolerable at 70 to 80 mph. I'd probably hate life if I had something like a buddy club spec 2 or something lol. I'd gladly keep the stock 1-5 ratios with another gear. As it is, I get an annoying shifter vibration at those speeds with the Spoon shift knob. If I run the the JDM Itr weighed knob, it goes away. I think it has to do with the mfactory shift bushings causing the vibrations though...

Rarely go faster now, but due to the loss of the main autocross site that was 30 minutes away, most of my events require highway driving.
-Andrew Wong

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Could go with mugen trans mounts?

Sometimes shifter vibration noise is just the round plastic piece of the shift boot vibrating against the shift knob. That's how it is in my gs-r.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

3pedalJohn

Post by 3pedalJohn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:35 am

noahf wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:06 pm thanks for the feedback. its what i needed to hear about the LS 5th gear. looking for a jdm gsr lsd trans for now, as that meets most of requirements.

stin1: i am waiting on a hytech twin loop cat back.
Hytech Twin Loop very nice :thumbup: I have this exhaust on my GSR with a 98-01 JDM ITR trans and it's pretty quiet. You could also up size the tire a little bit to drop the revs a little more but that GSR should be the best of both worlds.
96 Acura Integra GS-R TOY 04 Acura TL 6MT DD 88 Astro Van LT Tow

Aquafina

Post by Aquafina » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 am

CTR/ITR trans with 205/45/16's is 4,300 RPM at 80mph. RPM drop from 4-5 upshift at 4,000 RPM is 928 RPM.

GSR 5th is 4,000 RPM at 80 and RPM drop is 1,149 RPM.

LS 5th is too long to use, you'll need to wind 4th out and downshift to 4th to accelerate.

Honda engines are designed to cruise at a high RPM. The only ones designed for low RPM cruising have lean burn. Lowering your cruising RPM can actually hurt your fuel economy.

The absolute lowest you can go using off the shelf parts is 2,850 RPM using an LS 5th and MFactory 3.47 final drive. Your acceleration will be slower than a stock Civic DX and your fuel economy will plummet.

The JDM GSR LSD is not the same as the CTR/ITR. It is a viscous type and isn't really optimal for anything other than saying you have an LSD. It uses a special ring gear so the final drive ratio can never be changed and if the ring gear or countershaft break then it's a paperweight as replacements are very hard to find. It's also a paperweight if it overheats (easy to do on track) as it will either lock up, break, or revert to an open diff function. When any of those happen it is no reversible and it must be replaced. It also has weak splined gears (what the axles mesh with) and it can shear off inside the LSD (the gear itself, not the axle).

I recommend keeping your trans as-is.
Whoopee Doo Racing High Performance Transmission builds and parts.
MFactory Official North American Installer, Torco, Action Clutch, Gear-X, OS Giken, Synchrotech, Rocket Motorsports, Hasport, MTM Custom Ratio Gear North American Distributor

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pm

I don't see a thread mapping out transmission gear ratios. I will work on that. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

DC231

Post by DC231 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Aquafina wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 am CTR/ITR trans with 205/45/16's is 4,300 RPM at 80mph. RPM drop from 4-5 upshift at 4,000 RPM is 928 RPM.

GSR 5th is 4,000 RPM at 80 and RPM drop is 1,149 RPM.

LS 5th is too long to use, you'll need to wind 4th out and downshift to 4th to accelerate.

Honda engines are designed to cruise at a high RPM. The only ones designed for low RPM cruising have lean burn. Lowering your cruising RPM can actually hurt your fuel economy.

The absolute lowest you can go using off the shelf parts is 2,850 RPM using an LS 5th and MFactory 3.47 final drive. Your acceleration will be slower than a stock Civic DX and your fuel economy will plummet.

The JDM GSR LSD is not the same as the CTR/ITR. It is a viscous type and isn't really optimal for anything other than saying you have an LSD. It uses a special ring gear so the final drive ratio can never be changed and if the ring gear or countershaft break then it's a paperweight as replacements are very hard to find. It's also a paperweight if it overheats (easy to do on track) as it will either lock up, break, or revert to an open diff function. When any of those happen it is no reversible and it must be replaced. It also has weak splined gears (what the axles mesh with) and it can shear off inside the LSD (the gear itself, not the axle).

I recommend keeping your trans as-is.
Very good info here. Thanks Aquafina. I was honestly hoping to hear you chime in as I've seen your name here and I've read many many posts from you in the past about Honda Transmissions. You know your shit for sure.

Aquafina

Post by Aquafina » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:24 pm

You're welcome. If you have any questions and want to ask me directly you can reach me at Chris (at) wd-r.com
Whoopee Doo Racing High Performance Transmission builds and parts.
MFactory Official North American Installer, Torco, Action Clutch, Gear-X, OS Giken, Synchrotech, Rocket Motorsports, Hasport, MTM Custom Ratio Gear North American Distributor