OEM ITR Trunk Brace Refinishing

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
Nick MC

Re: OEM ITR Trunk Brace Refinishing

Post by Nick MC » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:46 am

Since I went with the ITR subframe instead of the asr brace I did some refurbishment on the lower performance rod. The one on 01-1058 was rotted out so I just replaced it . This time since parts are getting older an harder to get I tried repairing the ones I had. The lower rod is especially susceptible to rust due to its location. I just got some 1inch sch 40 which overlaps perfect and is the same thickness. I cut the original piece in half bolted them to the subframe and tacked them in place to get the distance right Image

I took it off and just welded it on the bench then. I coated it with copper welding primer to keep rust down I also drilled a hole and sprayed it with rust inhibitors on the inside and to give moisture a way out. I think there’s a lot of R’s out there with this piece rotted out and many people don’t realize it.Image
01-1058: Sold
'00 EBP Civic Si: Sold
'09 Civic LX-S Wife wagon
'13 Silverado Tow Vehicle

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:56 am

I’m sure corrosion on these is an issue for a lot of owners.

Another issue I’ve seen is bars that rattle, where something has flaked off or otherwise got trapped inside. For that you can drill a hole shake it out, spray the inside with something like copper weld for protection, then plug weld the hole back up and refinish.

Fortunately I was able to get a set in reasonably good shape yet from HMO and ended up having them powdercoated but I wonder how hard it would be to make your own with a press.

For the subframe brace it seems like it would be doable by pressing a rectangular block onto some metal tube, in a solid rectangular trough. The upper frame end brace has some slope to it so would probably need 2 slight bends (per side) first?

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:02 am

aklackner wrote:I’m sure corrosion on these is an issue for a lot of owners.

Another issue I’ve seen is bars that rattle, where something has flaked off or otherwise got trapped inside. For that you can drill a hole shake it out, spray the inside with something like copper weld for protection, then plug weld the hole back up and refinish.

Fortunately I was able to get a set in reasonably good shape yet from HMO and ended up having them powdercoated but I wonder how hard it would be to make your own with a press.

For the subframe brace it seems like it would be doable by pressing a rectangular block onto some metal tube, in a solid rectangular trough. The upper frame end brace has some slope to it so would probably need 2 slight bends (per side) first?
I was thinking the same thing. I wish there was still an aftermarket option like comptech that made an aluminum piece.
01-1058: Sold
'00 EBP Civic Si: Sold
'09 Civic LX-S Wife wagon
'13 Silverado Tow Vehicle