Helmet Buyers Guide

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: Helmet Buyers Guide

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Gotin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 am ...My mind was leaning towards an open face for the weight factor and field of vision. When asking about hpde vs. autox, I read that some tracks may not allow open face where some autox events don't care if you use a motorcycle helmet. Great info all around and current looking at the ultrasport. Price seems same across the board with different online sites. Maybe an addition of a list of ITR forum friendly places to buy. :thumbup:
Those are good questions:
A1: Correct, some tracks or groups may not allow an open-face, due to increase risk of fire or face injury. I recommend a full-face. The weight increase is minimal and the trade-off benefits make it worth it IMO.
A2: Motorcycle helmets are not certified for fire protection. Stick to SNELL certified helmets.
A3: Type R Expo sponsors are the best place to start for forum friendly prices:
-Essess Autoworks
-VPR Motorsports
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

VPR Victor

Post by VPR Victor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:23 pm

I stock most helmets that were listed in this thread. I can assist you with any questions you may have as well. Check out vprmotorsports.com under Racewear to view our helmets.

And any of the Expo sponsors can help you as well. We are all here to support this organization and want the best for the group.

-Victor
VPR Motorsports
TYPE-R Expo sponsor 03-18
17 Civic TYPE-R 4865
97 Integra TYPE-R 312
06 TSX 6MT/NAV
13 Tahoe PPV

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pm

Time flies! Reporting back, I went with the composite Stilo ST5 after trying on multiple helmets. I learned my head shape was best suited by Arai and Stilo. For anyone stepping up from an entry-level helmet to mid or high-end helmet, I highly recommend trying on (safely) before buying.

Take-aways:
-Excellent fitment
-Comfortable after long sessions, ie no pressure on forehead (see above)
-I'm no longer able to wear glasses/sunglasses due to the tight fit

Recommendations:
-A better fit = make sure one has a quality balaclava. I immediately upgraded from a cheaper Sparco to OMP with 2x outside seams vs. Sparco's single middle seam
-I now understand why people need cooling vents for helmets. A loose helmet never had an issue but a close fit reduces air flow
-Lack of sunglasses support meant I had to buy a second tinted visor
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171