Cold air intake

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aw614

Re: Cold air intake

Post by aw614 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 am

aklackner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am I had seen similar feedback on the icebox when researching my custom build.

The main difference seemed to be the icebox's 4" snorkel\feed makes install easier but does restrict flow over the larger Mugen design. This drove my decision to go with the 5" flex tube in my setup.
As I was installing my Mugen, I kept thinking the Icebox was designed for those compromises in mind, it'll make less power, but you get an easier install and can pretty much retain everything else in the engine bay as close to stock as possible and also be CARB legal for those in Cali.

In the longterm, I am curious to see how my AC lines hold up due to removing the AC line bracket and splitting them to fit the Mugen.
-Andrew Wong

hootrscootr

Post by hootrscootr » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 am

aklackner wrote:
hootrscootr wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am You have any pics of your set up?
I'll see if I can find some with it in place, I have it apart waiting to go into 01386 so can grab some shots of the components.
Thank you, greatly appreciated
00-1175

aklackner

Cold air intake

Post by aklackner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:44 pm

aklackner wrote:
hootrscootr wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am You have any pics of your set up?
I'll see if I can find some with it in place, I have it apart waiting to go into 01386 so can grab some shots of the components.

It looks pretty silly out of the car but works well and the modifications aren’t visible in the car (bonus for those of us under CARB).

ImageImageImage

Couldn’t find any photos (from underneath with it in place but here’s one of the Dyno pulls from when it was tuned with this intake.)

https://vimeo.com/386850737/fb7c3afede
And the graph:
Last edited by aklackner on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hootrscootr

Post by hootrscootr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks, that looks relatively easy. Luckily here in South Carolina we dont have to worry about the carb thingy, or pretty much anything else when it comes to a car. Now to source the parts, already found the filter.
00-1175

Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Post by Gotin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 am

People in the crx community do something very similar. You can use pvc pipe to create a "J" similar to the Mugen intake. There is a rubber connector that can be found in home improvement stores in the same section at the PVC that will connect the airbox inlet to the pvc pipe. The velocity stack at the end is a subwoofer box port like the link below.

https://www.parts-express.com/precision ... nkQAvD_BwE
-BJ-

97cwr

Post by 97cwr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:16 am

Just remember the length of the air intake will affect peak torque. On my 235hp b20vtec with pro 2 cams, i make peak torque at 4700 rpm. I run an AEM style intake running into the fender. The longer tubing creates a resonance spike at a lower rpm. The graph above shows peak torque at around 6000 rpm, which makes sense with the shorter intake.

aklackner

Cold air intake

Post by aklackner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:39 am

97cwr wrote:Just remember the length of the air intake will affect peak torque. On my 235hp b20vtec with pro 2 cams, i make peak torque at 4700 rpm. I run an AEM style intake running into the fender. The longer tubing creates a resonance spike at a lower rpm. The graph above shows peak torque at around 6000 rpm, which makes sense with the shorter intake.
From my understanding CAIs typically hamper throttle response and low end performance to a degree, but have potential for higher velocity. You’ll have access to an initial volume of air but the longer that tube is the more pull you need to get air moving through a filter, then velocity starts to build. Similar to some water pump designs the harder you pull initially the more momentum the air has and for mid range valve timing valves may be open long enough to push just a little more air into the cylinders, but as rpm increases the benefit of this decreases since valves timing is very brief. Maybe we’re saying the same thing here as what you said with resonance bump? With a higher displacement, high compression build you’ll have more pull and may not have been a problem with throttle response. A stock b18c5 is going to benefit from a shorter, more immediately responsive intake service nice it’s not necessary to pull as much air to get to maximum velocity. It’s designed to make its power higher in the band where a B20 is targeted to better low/mid response but not intended to be run out to 9k.

The AEM CAI (run before I moved to the modified airbox) certainly didn’t help my motor any.