Suspension tuning - dampers, spring rates, etc.

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
aw614

Re: Suspension tuning - dampers, spring rates, etc.

Post by aw614 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 am

Alright thanks, another friend suggested I do similar, I'll disconnect the endlinks since I have an appointment with a friend to get my tires flipped on monday. I did notice the weird handling, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was expecting.
aklackner wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:13 pm I have a spare ASR brace (non-R if that’s what we’re talking about) in black. I can’t use it on the R so it’s yours if you can pick up (91403) or for shipping.
Messaged
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Xian wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:28 am ...you could just pull the bar off completely or disconnect the endlinks. With one bracket attached, I’d expect some really strange behavior as the unattached end lurches up and down depending on what the suspension is doing.
I agree, if you must drive, disconnect both sides until fixed. Attaching the RSB can be "fun", I'v been there.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:08 pm

alright, got everything buttoned up and the sway bar installed. Here is what I noticed which may or may not be an issue with an ITR, but I'll go ahead post it. I think there might be differences between the supplied parts with the eibach and asr version of the same bar.

With the ASR subframe brace, and if its the eibach version of the bar (eibach logo on it, not ASR), you may need longer bolts to thread in the sway bar with the supplied rear bracket. On the ASR website, the rectangular bracket looks thinner than the eibach bracket. This probably will not be an issue on an ITR, but it is with the asr subframe brace on EG/DC cars.

Another thing, I bought asr sway bar brackets and poly bushings, but my kit did not come with a the sway bar shaft collar, without it the sway bar and poly bushings do not hold on the bracket without it. I went for a quick drive around the block and was wondering why it got noisy. I had bent my original brackets when the bolts backed out, but I was able to bend them back on. The supplied eibach energy bushings and brackets were put back on and so far the sway bar has not come off the brackets.

Does anyone know what the function of those rectangular brackets are for the sway bar?

Driving impressions with the bilstein shocks and ITR springs, its noticeably stiffer through speed bumps. My alignment feels like it is slightly off after pulling my control arms and having to get them back on. Currently the sway bar is set to soft , I'll be autocrossing it tomorrow to see how it drives.
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Can you post pictures? I don't have any ASR contacts, but Eibach has a roladex of employees who drive EG/DC's, so I can ask for them to chime in.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

I am the Liquor

Post by I am the Liquor » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 pm

I have a ASR brace with a JDM sway on my Gsr. I used 23mm energy suspension sway bar brackets and ASR hardware with no issues for a few years now. Pics will definately help. Are you asking about the peice that sits in the subframe above the lca?

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:23 pm

I'll try to get pictures when there is daylight, currently can't really get good pictures til the weekend b/c it gets dark by the time I get home.

But from the ASR video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2VnMY2A2A

And from their website
https://www.asrparts.com/products/swaybar-kit

It's the rectangular brackets I am wondering about. Mine came with it and I installed it on my car without issues, but wasn't sure what their function was as the sway bar also bolts up straight to the subframe without issues. But it does slightly change the distance where the endlinks sit
-Andrew Wong

I am the Liquor

Post by I am the Liquor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 am

Looks like the part number on those rectangular brackets is (EK/EG-bs-01) and in the asr video it is being installed on a eg chassis. Maybe those brackets are eg/ek specific and not too be used with dc. Not sure why they would include them with the integra kit if that was the case.
'97 GSR

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Those brackets weren’t included/required for the 24mm ASR Integra (non-R) brace kit but the bar (collar) design was a bit different.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Im guessing with the 24mm bar, the collars mount really close to the sway bar brackets and bushings?
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Yes the welded collars are right up on the bushings for the 24mm bar.

Is it possible the flat bar is intended to add additional clearance for the bolt-on collar to avoid contact with the subframe (on some applications)?