Need Some Honda Advice - CTR Warranty

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Re: Need Some Honda Advice - CTR Warranty

Post by aklackner » Mon May 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Interesting sounds like more wiring issues for the CTR.

Can you tell if it’s similar to the issues reported in the linked forum due to movement/strain on the harness and inadequate slack?

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Mon May 06, 2019 7:07 pm

aklackner wrote:Interesting sounds like more wiring issues for the CTR.

Can you tell if it’s similar to the issues reported in the linked forum due to movement/strain on the harness and inadequate slack?
It's too early to say, but I have one of first one's off the production line.
'19 ZLE, '12 MDX, '04 TSX MT,

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 am

I don't recall the exact description, but the GM called yesterday and stated that they needed to replace a boost control manifold sensor. The part would be installed today and I should get the car back. The GM and DPSM tried calling me today, but I was not available when they called. I called back as soon as I noticed the missed call. The GM confirmed there was still a code after replacing the sensor and the Honda Tech Line along with the DPSM approved a new harness. It should arrive tomorrow.

From the beginning, the DPSM would only contact me from a restricted phone number (I had to un-block restricted numbers on my phone) and rarely replies to email, so the only way I can speak with him is if I happen to catch his call. He will not leave a voicemail or reply to my email. I've been extremely professional the whole time, so this just makes the situation more frustrating. When I do catch his calls, he's very professional, but I don't have the luxury of sitting around all day waiting for a phone call. 

UPDATE: I finally caught the DPSM's latest call and received his direct line with the promise I wouldn't abuse it. We spoke for an hour discussing the service record, depreciation, time spent on diagnosis, technical competence, and customer service. He was very profesdional and apologetic. 

The harness replacement is a 5 hour job so we'll see if I get the car back tomorrow. 

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Fri May 10, 2019 12:29 am

The DPSM called yesterday evening after leaving a 3 hour meeting at the local store. A big part of it was the GM trying to get reimbursed for a ton of additional labor for working with Tech Line on the CTR.

The store's Tech was able to press on a harness wire attached to the boost solenoid, causing it to stay open, which produced an over-boost code. This was another confirmation that the original ECU's additional boost trouble code (which also happened with the new ECU) was not caused by, "another PCM had been connected" and "a modified or aftermarket PCM."

They replaced the harness today and I'll be meeting the DPSM tomorrow afternoon (depending on the weather) to return my original ECU for a refund and hopefully pick up the car.

My primary concerns at this stage:

1. Is all the work finally done correctly? - We'll see...
2. Will the false accusations and assumptions recorded in the service history be removed? - The DPSM is "adding corrections to the story," but implied that he can't alter the notes in the Repair Orders (RO's) at this time.
3. If not, how much will the car depreciate from #2? - According to a GM at another store, this will cause a big hit if it shows up on Carfax. I pulled a report today and it's fine, but it can take 30 days to update.
4. Will I (or the next owner) run into any future warranty issues? - The DPSM says that it won't, but I'm not so sure.

More to come...

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Sat May 11, 2019 2:08 pm

The DPSM and I spoke in person for an hour. He cleaned up a lot of the service history and provided me a copy. It basically says that the suspected ECU modification was misdiagnosed. Everyone was apologetic

I received the refund check for the ECU and turned in my original. They installed the new lower engine cover and hardware I purchased so I could drive the CTR home in the rain without kicking crap up under the motor. It looks like they put well over 100 miles on the odometer.

The car sat in my garage overnight and I drove it for 45 minutes this morning.

No issues so far.

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Tue May 14, 2019 1:02 am

I drove it for another 45 minutes today and no issues. It may finally be fixed...

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue May 14, 2019 11:34 am

What a mess. I'm relieved to resolution and restitution.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 pm

Wow! This is a case where the dealer should have been way more careful about accusing an owner of modifying a car. They shouldn't make claims like that without real evidence.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 am

There were a few things that contributed to this cluster:
  • Local service Tech's with no CTR experience and making assumptions
  • Honda Tech Line engineer making assumptions and misinterpreting the facts
  • The DPSM initially making assumptions without having all the facts
  • Service Manager making assumptions and relying too heavily on the Tech Line
  • GM not encouraging advanced training for the store Tech's
I could go on, but I'm sure this was all due to the fact that I still had the '17 Expo East numbers on my car and the front tires showed scrubbing from my Chin Driving School at Barber. They assumed I was a "Racer" and I was presumed guilty until proven innocent.

It was an exhausting and stressful experience. I had to fight every inch to get them to believe me and eventually the data from the new ECU backed up what I was saying. It didn't convince the original Tech Line engineer that misdiagnosed the problem, but the DPSM stepped in and another engineer was able to back up what I was saying.

My Honda loyalty is shaken, but the DPSM is really trying hard to restore my faith. We are in the process of discussing options to ensure this doesn't happen again.

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 am

aklackner wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:53 pm Interesting sounds like more wiring issues for the CTR.

Yes, this appears to be the same issue.