Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Continuing to move forward in increments:

Mounted new slimline fans on the new radiator

Repaired the ABS harness

Buttoned up the right side harness

Ran the left side harness. Installed the clutch master cylinder.
Last edited by aklackner on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm

More (limited) progress today:

New brake master cylinder and booster in place

Did a final rust and etching treatment on a handful of remaining brackets, then cleaned off with acetone, and started laying down 2k epoxy primer

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 pm

So very little done in this update, and mostly backward progress. I’d been excited to try the Koyo crossflow radiator not only for promise of improved cooling from a dual pass setup but for the mounting offered for slimline (universal) fans. I was hoping to move away from oem shrouds to provide a bit more clearance to get headers in and out as well as eliminate contact between the shroud and AC compressor fitting. It’s been an unfortunately uphill battle and after trying to fit an aftermarket coolant reservoir and then dropping in the air box to find the below I’m calling it a bridge too far. I’ll trim the OEM shroud to address the compressor contact or if clearance remains an issue I’ll directly mount the slimline fans to the prior (still 36mm core) koyo radiator with the god awful plastic push in mounts. If anyone is interested in the crossflow radiator or a chase bays coolant reservoir let me know.

The only actual semi productive thing I got done was getting the pedal hardware all finally in place as well as the under dash fusebox.

aklackner

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by aklackner » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks it’s from Sargent Racing Division

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Since I now know the Koyo cross flow (dual pass horizontal) isn’t going to work I sanded down my other Koyo (top down single pass 36mm) and hit it with black Eastwood radiator paint.

Sanded

With Eastwood radiator paint

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:56 am

aklackner wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 pm So very little done in this update, and mostly backward progress. I’d been excited to try the Koyo crossflow radiator not only for promise of improved cooling from a dual pass setup but for the mounting offered for slimline (universal) fans. I was hoping to move away from oem shrouds to provide a bit more clearance to get headers in and out as well as eliminate contact between the shroud and AC compressor fitting. It’s been an unfortunately uphill battle and after trying to fit an aftermarket coolant reservoir and then dropping in the air box to find the below I’m calling it a bridge too far. I’ll trim the OEM shroud to address the compressor contact or if clearance remains an issue I’ll directly mount the slimline fans to the prior (still 36mm core) koyo radiator with the god awful plastic push in mounts. If anyone is interested in the crossflow radiator or a chase bays coolant reservoir let me know.

The only actual semi productive thing I got done was getting the pedal hardware all finally in place as well as the under dash fusebox.

have you considered using AN fittings for the radiator lines? i think they would go very well with your build.. the fitting on the top side of the rad can be changed to a 90 degree AN fitting easily.
https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/spee ... s?___SID=U
https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/spee ... -fill-neck

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 am

DC231 wrote: have you considered using AN fittings for the radiator lines? i think they would go very well with your build.. the fitting on the top side of the rad can be changed to a 90 degree AN fitting easily.
I’m not opposed to it but it wouldn’t solve the issues with Koyo crossflow which is mostly theres just not enough space in the front right corner. You’re competing with the headlight, (fan) relay and bracket, AC condenser line and even the sides of the radiator cap became an issue. It was that tight. I was just working to hard to make it work. I’m pretty convinced the only way to actually fit it all is the OEM funky shaped reservoir and radiator supply neck placement. At a minimum I think you’d have to lose the air box, not sure a CAI would fit so a short ram is what you need to fit. My air box is modified with a snorkel/cold air feed I ant to try to keep this to keep intake temps as low as possible. There’s also the possibility that the dual pass could limit flow of the system and fail to deliver additional cooling.

If I end up having cooling issues with the single pass Koyo I’ll look into options to improve. Most probably with a custom IM cooler system. The only concern is really the JRCS (possibly w/ stepper pulley for ~8psi) but with Methanol injection, upgraded (still 36mm alum.) Koyo radiator, and vented hood I highly doubt it will present an issue. I’ll also have knock detection from the ecu (odb1 p72 w/ s300v3) for failsafe.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:09 am

aklackner wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 am
DC231 wrote: have you considered using AN fittings for the radiator lines? i think they would go very well with your build.. the fitting on the top side of the rad can be changed to a 90 degree AN fitting easily.
I’m not opposed to it but it wouldn’t solve the issues with Koyo crossflow which is mostly theres just not enough space in the front right corner. You’re competing with the headlight, (fan) relay and bracket, AC condenser line and even the sides of the radiator cap became an issue. It was that tight. I was just working to hard to make it work. I’m pretty convinced the only way to actually fit it all is the OEM funky shaped reservoir and radiator supply neck placement. At a minimum I think you’d have to lose the air box, not sure a CAI would fit so a short ram is what you need to fit. My air box is modified with a snorkel/cold air feed I ant to try to keep this to keep intake temps as low as possible. There’s also the possibility that the dual pass could limit flow of the system and fail to deliver additional cooling.

If I end up having cooling issues with the single pass Koyo I’ll look into options to improve. Most probably with a custom IM cooler system. The only concern is really the JRCS (possibly w/ stepper pulley for ~8psi) but with Methanol injection, upgraded (still 36mm alum.) Koyo radiator, and vented hood I highly doubt it will present an issue. I’ll also have knock detection from the ecu (odb1 p72 w/ s300v3) for failsafe.
if you go with the AN fittings you can have the rad cap relocated to the neck off the cylinder head with this(https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/spee ... -fill-neck) or something similar i believe others are available.. you would not even use the filler neck on the rad anymore it would be gone after adding the AN fitting directly to the rad.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Yeah it’s doable I’ve crossed my own threshold where the level of modification required isn’t sufficiently justified (to me at the point I’m at), for the potential (theoretical) benefit of going from single pass to dual pass.