Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
DC231

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by DC231 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:31 pm

aklackner wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm Yeah it’s doable I’ve crossed my own threshold where the level of modification required isn’t sufficiently justified (to me at the point I’m at), for the potential (theoretical) benefit of going from single pass to dual pass.
Understood 8-)

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Motor is out of the LS and on the ground. Need to pull the IM and get it prepped for the supercharger. New clutch in order too that should be better suited to handle a bit more torque and heat.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:29 pm

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 am

I’ll redo the upper tank on this one more time since the can sputtered just at the wrong time but ...

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Teaser
To preempt any confusion, it’s not a turbo manifold. It’s the LHT supercharger header. It’s not Carb legal so won’t pass inspections but as a 2 piece it shouldn’t be too bad to get in and out, in theory.

Pretty inside and out

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Coming together nicely sir

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Waiting for a new clutch but decided I wanted to swap the 2 layer Mugen HG to the 3 layer OEM HG so had to tear it down. This will decrease CR a tad and put me in a better range to handle the (~8psi) boost from JRSC.
Bit of carbon build up
Cleaned up for OEM HG. Will clean up the head then drop it back together with the OEM HG.
Painted the dash brackets with 2k primer and then just a 2k clear coat.
A while back I picked up a used Mugen oil pan from Pathidden it already had the oil temp sensor bung welded in but was scratched up so here it is with Eastwood 2k engine primer and 2k ceramic engine paint. A bit lumpy but at least it’s all coated.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 am

8-) looking great!

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Cleaned up the head some today. Removed all the carbon build up I could from bowls and valves. What’s left of the Mugen gasket won’t even catch a fingernail but I’ll see what I can do to get it cleaned up a bit more. After the cleaning it will get blown off and wiped down to make sure any grit and other bits are clear then back on to the block with a fresh OEM HG.

Other fun:
Toda oil pump gear went into my spare oil pump
OEM gear looks pretty sharp

Toda (80mm) oil gear in, less sexy looking and from what I’ve read the clearances are probably a very slight bit looser (I sort of want to say I could feel the difference when fitting the gears) to actually push less oil. Seems odd but I guess above 6k rpm the Gerotor pumps can tend to cavitation, like running a non-Vtec water pump. Decreasing the flow could limit cavitation and help stabilize (sustained)high RPM oil flow. Also the gear is supposed to be a more durable (harder?) alloy than the stock gear.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Got the head cleaned up
Thought I had an OEM HG sitting around but couldn’t find it so ordered a fresh one.

With dash brackets ready to go in I wanted to get the carpet back in before much else does.
Here’s a shot of cleaning in progress
Used a spray bottle with cleaning guys fabric/carpet cleaner and my DA with a carpet brush.
Cleaned up and drying. Clearly not perfect but it feels and smells a ton better.

In place in the car