Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:18 pm

While still waiting for the clutch, I circled back to get the tank guard mounted properly. Gas tank will be protected, supported, and maybe even a slight aero benefit.

9701TypeR

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by 9701TypeR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:17 pm

aklackner wrote:While still waiting for the clutch, I circled back to get the tank guard mounted properly. Gas tank will be protected, supported, and maybe even a slight aero benefit.

I like this Image Had a similar setup on my first gen insight but was an under engine belly pan. At the very least it kept things cleaner.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Hardline guard up, most fasteners are in place but 1-2 more that I may or may not do.

There’s a front under guard as well. Fortunately it’s straight bolt on and will go up as one of the last pieces.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Back to the LS to pull heater and hardware.
Got the dash and heater core out.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:52 pm

What is the story on these underguard pieces?
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:30 pm

coolhandluke wrote:What is the story on these underguard pieces?
All three pieces are by Laile/ARP sport (yeah JDM bling).

I picked them up mostly since I was curious but with a few things in mind:

Tank guard
Since OE tank had rust issues it was replaced with an aftermarket unit (oem discontinued) that very likely isn’t as durable as the Honda tank so will benefit from some extra protection. I’ve also heard it’s possible for the gas tank to come free in some cases (see YouTube vids of Integras dragging their tank behind them down the track) the guard should at least help prevent this.

Hardline guard
Again due to rust I replaced the hardlines with custom stainless lines, I’ve also added a coated braided line for WMI. The panel protects the whole set and looks better than the OE plastic cover did.

Front under panel
I’ve never been a huge fan of the droopy OE under plastics but still wanted to provide protection. Supposedly this also helps prevent air from flowing down and underneath. I’m running the vented hood so I could see this helping more air exit out of the hood efficiently.

I’ve not seen many Integras do this sort of setup so was curious, all three panels together may help smooth the air some as it flows under the car, providing some minor aero advantage.

Finally I think they look pretty cool and again I’ve not seen anyone else running these so it will add to the unique build.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 pm

Antenna wiring was wrapped up the other day so the hands free mic went in and that cleared the way for Roof liner, dome light, A pillar covers, and inner rubber door trim all to go in. Heater went in. Some of the evap equipment, front Abs sensors, and right side clutch line bracket are all now in place.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm

80% prepped for the dash!

Here’s how the wiring behind the AC and blower turned out

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm

Not a big update just clearing the way for bigger pieces.

Most of the remaining brackets got Black 2k epoxy primer and then 2k epoxy clear

Also got the new hood release wire run and a few other bits and bolts while access under the dash is still open.

Tomorrow the plan is to turn the painting stand back into a body cart and get the LS off the jack stands so it can be moved back out of the way so the ITR can be rolled out of the garage. This will allow doors to be opened wide to get the dash back in, clearance from the garage door to lift the motor in (not this weekend but very soon), and access to the rear of the ITR.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:29 pm

With brackets painted I was able to get the evap canister installed and the brake booster hose stay. Front calipers went on too. FedEx says my new clutch comes tomorrow am so lifted up the motor pulled the trans brace then set the motor back down and pulled the trans, then clutch. All went smooth clutch came off easy with the Honda ring gear holder.

ImageImageImageImageImage