Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Glass was installed today. Overall it looks great! I’d like to say it magically turned out perfect but looks like there are some of the similar (minor) issues others have faced. The biggest was that it was no longer possible to source the Pilkington glass at this point so the front windshield is PGW. I knew this from when I scheduled the install so it wasn’t like it was dropped on me at least. We did our best to inspect it before it went on. Fitment seems fine and we couldn’t detect any distortion off the car but now installed there does appear to be visible distortion. It’s hard to tell to what extent. Image I’d still demand it be replaced but at this point it wouldn’t be possible to replace the moldings.

ImageImage

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Here’s a couple videos of the glass from the inside. I’m being pretty sensitive about the distortion, it’s hard to tell if it’s will be noticeable when driving.

https://vimeo.com/386073147/479c5e0d05

https://vimeo.com/386073056/644951fa03

Stin1

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by Stin1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:17 pm

I can’t see the distortion in the video. If you want a certain brand windshield, keep in mind some glass companies have overseas cheap manufactured glass and glass made with better quality control that tends to have less distortion . The glass guy told me he can’t ask for it and needs to check using the dot code when he arrives at the distribution location if a customer has our type of requests. The oem manufacturer is ap tech. I don’t see why you can’t reuse the moldings?

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm

In my experience adhesive on the upper molding and if any adhesive ends up on the sides will cause issues reusing. Without easy access to spares it’s not worth risking damage now that they’re laid down.

After spending more time in the car it seems more subtle than my initial reaction. The video is a pretty accurate representation of what you see in the car. The real measure would be if it’s apparent while driving.

I’m pretty happy with how things laid down otherwise so I think I’ll let it be for now but may work to source a spare set of moldings so I’m covered if I replace you n the future.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 pm

The upper is now discontinued ?

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:39 pm

I could be wrong but I didn’t think you could get it in the US network anymore. The set of front moldings I have came imported from Japan.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 pm

More hoses went in today, tape came off the windows, and spoiler installed this evening.

Taillights and carbon cowl are just sitting in place but 01386 looking fantastic.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Since I couldn’t find more than the clip positions in Helms I made the cowl install sequence up as I went along and faced some trouble for my efforts. Here’s what I should have done:

-(Align, mark, &) Remove hood from hinges
-Remove cowl (leave hood hinges, it may be possible but I couldn’t find a way to install the cowl w/ hinge covers without removing the hood first, but once the cowl is in place getting to the rear hinge to body bolts is extremely difficult.)
-Install windshield and moldings
-Ensure cowl will cover bottom edge of glass (it was close but did work out for me with carbon cowl) but don’t reinstall it yet.
-If hinges were removed from body reinstall hinges and hood, align and mark then remove hood from hinges
-Transfer wiper sprayers/hoses/rubber hinge covers, if replacing cowl and not provided.
-Reinstall cowl (cowl edges go under windshield side moldings but rubber hinge covers go into fender and slide over the windshield side moldings
-Reinstall hood and confirm alignment.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:14 am

How is the general fit and finish on that carbon cowl? I've thought about buying one and plastidipping it black or painting it black to resemble an OEM one
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 am

aw614 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:14 am How is the general fit and finish on that carbon cowl? I've thought about buying one and plastidipping it black or painting it black to resemble an OEM one
It's a nice carbon piece, for quality I'd say it's mid-grade, but keep in mind it is not OEM equivalent.

There is no AC intake opening (though air will still pull from sides and along the fenders), there's no provision for a hood seal, the plastic shelf that goes above the battery will need to be modified to fit the carbon cowl(wish they had eliminated this, I've never understood it), no seals are included, the rubber hinge covers aren't included (and oem are discontinued, so you'll have to transfer from something.). As far as actual fit it was close but Carbon fiber isn't the same as plastic so material shapes and thicknesses won't match up exactly, it does require some work. Wiper nozzle openings had to be opened, upper clip holes had to be opened. For me it was a good option vs a stained\cracked OEM cowl and with the vented hood should direct AC intake to the sides\fenders to help limit pulling in air from the engine bay.