Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:35 pm

aklackner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:08 pm Woot! I got the blower re-installed with the blower sealed to manifold with hondabond (instead of an incorrect gasket), swapped the heater and bypass hoses (to the correct positions), also identified the bypass valve hose seemed to have a slight leak so changed that out, and now the car starts right up and idles perfectly! Idles at about 600-700rpm.

It seemed to take a long time for the T-stat to open but did eventually and then fan (AC needs to be charged so only the main will run) cycled as expected too.

This time I used an obdlink sx cable on my laptop to verify throttle position was correct and stable, Coolant temp as the car warmed up, and intake temps as well. Sitting at idle the intake temp does get pretty warm but I guess you'd expect that since there isn't much air moving to cool it down. Coolant temp stayed almost exactly at 180F once I got it up.

Next steps will be to get the additional oil temp and pressure sensors wired up to the firewall, then I'll start working on completing interior wiring and getting everything closed up.

What I feeling I bet that is to make those adjustments and start heR back up to a perfect idle. Great job :thumbup:
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Dc2-ProductionS wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:35 pm What I feeling I bet that is to make those adjustments and start heR back up to a perfect idle.
Thanks and yes, it was both a huge weight lifted and very motivating to see it run so well, recover after so many mistakes. i can't wait to get back into making progress now! :D

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Here’s the video of the restart and re-bleeding coolant.

https://vimeo.com/396024558

Seems I have an SRS light to deal with too but will have to see if a SRS memory reset will clear or if it returns.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 am

Any updates?

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Stin1 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 amAny updates?
I wish, but sadly even-though it's less than 50' away I've not even seen 01-386 much since getting the JRSC re-installed. Just doing all I can to keep up with work and family right now. My wife and I are both learning to deal with balancing work from home, the new home school mode for the kiddo, and 24x7 proximity for all of us. Which is to say we're very lucky for our employment and to have the family together but there are a lot of demands on our time and energy at this point.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:21 pm

aklackner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:58 pm
Stin1 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 amAny updates?
I wish, but sadly even-though it's less than 50' away I've not even seen 01-0386 much since getting the JRSC re-installed. Just doing all I can to keep up with work and family right now. My wife and I are both learning to deal with balancing work from home, the new home school mode for the kiddo, and 24x7 proximity for all of us. Which is to say we're very lucky for our employment and to have the family together but there are a lot of demands on our time and energy at this point.
Family first. You're humble and prioritizing life, no worries. The weather will only get better too. Best wishes with home schooling and juggling life. :beer:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Wed May 06, 2020 3:55 pm

aklackner wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:22 pm Exhaust is in. Also went to install OEM fans they fit with the ‘98 JDM header and heatshield (on Koyo radiator) but would not clear the Comptech header. Luckily I still had the FAL fans so dropped those directly on to the Koyo radiator. Not how I wanted fans mounted but looks good (for now).
Question for you about that Koyo Radiator. There is someone local selling a brand new Koyo radiator for an amazing price. It was meant for his brother's integra but it was totaled before he could install it and has been sitting ever since. I think it might be an older style as it's about 50mm thick compared to the 36mm that is being advertised on Koyo's website. I've read that people have had clearance issues with the stock fans but your post is saying your stock fans cleared with a JDM header and heatshield. Could you confirm the thickness of your radiator for me?

Looking to scoop this thing just because of the price but it would end up being cheaper to buy the newer ones than it would be to buy this one and two new slim fans.

EDIT: Disregard. I did some more digging into your build and noticed that you have the 36mm vcore. Looks like this one will not be fitting without new slim fans.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Yep the 36mm koyo clears the JDM 4-1 header with stock fans, but really a pain in the ass if you need to remove the things up front. I pulled my header to check my exhaust valves and I didn't bother putting back the 4-1 heatshield in case I ended up pulling the head or motor.
-Andrew Wong

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu May 07, 2020 8:05 pm

aw614 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm Yep the 36mm koyo clears the JDM 4-1 header with stock fans, but really a pain in the ass if you need to remove the things up front. I pulled my header to check my exhaust valves and I didn't bother putting back the 4-1 heatshield in case I ended up pulling the head or motor.
Thanks for the confirmation. I measured out the old 50mm one and it definitely will not fit without either a lot of trimming of the oem fans or getting some aftermarket fans like the spals. I did a quick youtube search for spal fans and those suckers are LOUD! Definitely not the route I want to go.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu May 07, 2020 8:29 pm

DC2Iggy wrote: Thanks for the confirmation. I measured out the old 50mm one and it definitely will not fit without either a lot of trimming of the oem fans or getting some aftermarket fans like the spals. I did a quick youtube search for spal fans and those suckers are LOUD! Definitely not the route I want to go.
I expect the 50mm would create all kinds of clearance issues. Koyo does have a higher efficiency oem lookalike as well as the 36mm. With 36mm clears the jdm header w/shield but had contact with the AC compressor line so OEM shroud needs to be trimmed on dr. Side. The 36mm would not fit with OEM fans w/ Comptech header. So I did switch to Slim aftermarket fans. Since I wanted high efficiency (since not running the shroud) and some thing that wasn’t louder than OEM fans I went with dual FAL 12” flex-wave fans. These should move the same or more air than OEM and are probably quieter than OEM fans. Combined with the supercool coolant, 36mm koyo, and vented hood I’m hoping I can even keep the jrsc serviceably cool and the WMI should provide just that bit of extra protection on hot SoCal track days even if I go up to 8psi.