Brake Pads Discussion

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
3pedalJohn

Re: Brake Pads Discussion

Post by 3pedalJohn » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 am

aklackner wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm Looks like a pricier option but i was running the EBC YellowStuff (s2k pads for dc2 Mugen AGBS kit) on my LS.
Not sure on supported temps but are rated for Street and Track use, as well as listed for only moderate brake dust.

When I was driving them daily I like them and didn't have an issue with dust, also probably part of the reason the Chevy 1500 that rear-ended my LS didn't push me forward into vehicles ahead.
Wouldn't recommend EBC yellows, I had a buddy burn his brand new pads to the ground from one track weekend at gingerman raceway in his 6MT Acura ILX.

96 Acura Integra GS-R TOY 04 Acura TL 6MT DD 88 Astro Van LT Tow

ilovemyRz

Post by ilovemyRz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 pm

aw614 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:38 am
ilovemyRz wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 pm I currently run them on all four corners with Autozone rotors. I know this was a popular combo in the past and a combo I used a lot before (minus the rear pads). Right now, the rears are a little too aggressive but I make it work. In regards to dust and noise, they are loud at times and produce a fair amount of dust compared to OEM.
Was that with ABS or without ABS, the rear brakes being too aggressive?

Without ABS. I use to run HP+ Fronts and OEM style in the rear and that worked out really well for me.

@coolhandluke, I completely agree with you. I prefer method #3 with OEM pads in the rear. Also, I currently roll around on Dunlop Direzza z3 in 205s.
Apollo 9 Motors | PY ITR

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm

A little update on my recent track time at Watkins Glen with the new pad setup.

First time on xp10/xp8 combo, versus my usual setup of ht10/oem combo. I had never run a rear pad other than oem before.

Also keep in mind I am using Rcomps, no ABS, ATE amber fluid, stock booster/MC, goodrich lines, and stock ITR wing/lip.

It took a few hot laps to really get the pads bedded to the new rotors. I did some light bedding on the street prior but I could tell they needed more as my first dry session got going. Once they were broken in a bit I had complete confidence under braking. Probably slightly more than with the ht10/oem combo.

The biggest difference I noticed was probably straight line braking, which is pretty much what I expected. The car felt like it was very stable under heavy braking. Modulation was good, didnt notice any fade, and if I wanted to lock them up that would be no problem. I thought trail braking might be an adjustment but it seemed about the same. I assumed the xp10 front would have a bit more initial bite than the ht10 but I thought they were comparable. They are also a lot more noisy than the ht10s were for anyone that cares about pad noise. Brake dust is just as much or more than the ht10.

I was pleased with the setup and the car felt pretty balanced under braking. Once I get back to my home track I'll be able to compare some actual data and overall feel on my home track which Im very familiar with.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.