Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Swapped out the Ingalls camber kit for the PCI Fr. UCAs. The Ingalls kit had plenty of adjustment but was pretty ridiculous to get adjusted. Hopefully the PCI bearing lasts a good while.

And installed the last (front under panel) Image

Really just need to get front fender brackets in, then fender liners, and mount the sway bars.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:03 pm

JDM OEM ARB /w fresh oem bushings and lower subframe brace went on this afternoon.

Pulled the lip and Fr. Bumper skin to get the fender brackets in. The 97 front looks so naked without the ITR lip, but don’t worry is all mounted back up now.

aklackner

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by aklackner » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Seems like small progress today but things really feeling like wrapping up!

Finally got to adjusting the driver side door. Body lines looked pretty good before but well Image

Got the cold air feed for the airbox back in place well. Fender liners went in too.

Also tackled a bolt that holds the power steering pressure hose (in the rubber isolator) on top of the subframe, stupid ridiculous to get to it with everything in place, having a lot of tools (and a magnet) makes all the difference Image

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Your work continues to impress! You are getting so close, this is awesome. Driving this project will be a blast after all your hard work and wrench time. :thumbup:

aklackner wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:51 pm Swapped out the Ingalls camber kit for the PCI Fr. UCAs. The Ingalls kit had plenty of adjustment but was pretty ridiculous to get adjusted. Hopefully the PCI bearing lasts a good while....
FYI Kingpin Machine can upgrade the PCI bearings if/when needed. I ordered my PCI front UCA's direct from Kingpin to avoid this scenario.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Hoped to shoot for alignment today and after swapping the Fr. UCAs the bushings needed to be tightened up but didn’t move quick enough to get the alignment done yet. Fortunately it’s stable enough to leave up on the stands (with jack stands sitting under for safety) until I can get it done without rushing things.

First I put all 4 corners up on jack stands and took the opportunity to get a couple of the rear abs sensor bolts in that I had needed when I put them on also adjusted the gas tank underpanel and rear exhaust heatshield to increase clearance/eliminate rattling.

Then I set up the leveling pads with scales, again with the Huepar laser level, a laser target (need to get a set of four to make this a little easier) and a digital level. I set the pads up so the inside edge would be just inside the edge of the hubstand with the faceplate pushed all the way inside, this allows plenty of room for the suspension arms to swing out and gets about centered on the hubstands.

Then the hubstands were set on the scales and the scales were zeroed out with the hubstands on them to remove their weight.

Then the hubstands went on, rear first, then the front. This helps avoid tilting the car very far over the front to lift the rear high enough to get the hubstands on if you load the front stands first.

On stands

Weighing in (wheels and a full tank would probably put me right about at the 2600lbs listed curb weight for an ITR)

Last edited by aklackner on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Winter has officially arrived here in LA 55F and started to drizzle. So quickly pulled the ITR off the scales and will try to get through an alignment another time. Will probably take it to my local tire shop to get an OEM alignment (which they do a great job with when not having to deal with the Ingalls camber kit) just to keep moving towards getting on the road.

On the funner side I bought myself a little treat the other day and was surprised when showed up today!

https://racingbrake.com/feature-compari ... e_twopiece

I know rotors are a bit of a waste as wear parts but I wanted something similar to the Mugen ones that came with the AGBS and these should offer improved airflow/cooling (due to open hat so air can enter from inside or out, surface vents, and vane design), more even pad wear (due to slots), and some weight reduction over blanks. If nothing else they look cool! Image

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:18 pm

So I’ve mentioned it before but I love my wife!

She gave me the day uninterrupted to play with the car so I took another shot at getting the alignment done and I was able to get through it this time! Image

ImageImage
Is it entirely perfect no. I was able to get toe dead on (measured to .5mm over 56cm which works out to about the 1/10th of a degree for total toe) but getting camber set with the PCI arms in the front was more of a challenge than I expected. Did I measure caster (non adjustable) or ballast driver weight, not this time but I’m thrilled given measurements were entirely consistent each time I lifted to make adjustments and set it back down. This was my first time running the alignment myself. I’m learning each time I get it up on the stands and still amazed at how easy the stands make the process, with my limited experience.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:16 pm

Such an awesome build. That alignment is jaw dropping.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Huge celebration for me today. 01-0386 finally received its temporary California registration!

I continually need “a couple more things” but I can now drive my ITR on the road legally (until Jan 31st at least. I can rack some miles to clear emissions tests and it goes in to a local shop to get the AC system charged tomorrow.

I can’t convey how excited I am, I am literally jumping up and down.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:26 pm

aklackner wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:37 pm Huge celebration for me today. 01-0386 finally received its temporary California registration!

I continually need “a couple more things” but I can now drive my ITR on the road legally (until Jan 31st at least. I can rack some miles to clear emissions tests and it goes in to a local shop to get the AC system charged tomorrow.

I can’t convey how excited I am, I am literally jumping up and down.
Great news it's been a long time coming!!! Jumping up and down with you bro :mrgreen: