New Limited Edition CTR

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: New Limited Edition CTR

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 am

Rock on Ed. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on comparing the differences between the years.

My hometown has an LE for $8k over MSRP. Part of me was tempted but I still can't stomach paying money over sticker. The risk of a kid running a red light is too great. After years of Honda allowing this, it's likely the biggest reason I don't already own one.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Zyg

Post by Zyg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Gap insurance!

New car has the "sensing" functions for lane keeping and most importantly cruise control w/distance keeping.

The biggest differences are the use of buttons for the major functions on the new car's touch screen, as well as a physical rotary button for volume and on/off for the radio (where the earlier years you had to go through the touch screen menu which was a bit tedious and touchy while driving).

I like the suede steering wheel feel better than the leather in the '17.

Floating two piece rotors on the new car vs. the single piece drilled iron/steel ones of the earlier cars.

Noticed that there are a couple little segments in the rear vents that have been opened up/venting, next to the little new elements in/on the rear "vents".

Also noticed that there is a kind of foam cup attached to the inside of the gas filler lid (because in the older car if you overfill the fuel tank due to its small size it will smell for quite a bit).

The limited edition has a few additional features (forged BBS 20" wheels w/stickier tires, advanced suspension tuning that is LE specific, rear wiper delete, less about 26-30 lbs. of sound deadening, LE specific yellow paint w/black roof, hood vent and side mirrors).

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:17 am

How do you feel about the engine noise being piped into the cabin?

Zyg

Post by Zyg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 am

WRT piped in (artificial) engine noise, not a fan in general since I see no need for it.

That being said I don't seem to have experienced it just yet. Probably since I've been taking it easy these first few hundred miles and haven't even had it in the +R mode so far.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:25 am

Nice, Ed!

How do you like or not like the Honda Sensing stuff? Our Accord has it, and sometimes it's nice (like adaptive cruise), and others, I turn it off.
:hammer:

Zyg

Post by Zyg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am

Hey Jay!

I was actually "considering" a new Accord as a more practical alternative for a street/roadtrip car, but ... really liked my blue '17 till I started messing with it trying to fulfill it's destiny as a supremely capable track car for playing with some of the bigger boys on track.

WRT the sensing/distance keeping cruise control, the first time the car started slowing down on me with the cruise control still engaged I started thinking WTF! LOL
Does take a little getting used to and I haven't tried changing the distance setting yet.
Quickly learned/adapted to how it seemed to work, especially when approaching a vehicle on the highway from behind, when switching lanes or during bends in the road. By the end of my trip home from the dealer I was starting to just use the accelerator a bit to compensate (but on occasion that seemed to set the cruise speed higher afterwards as well).

Think I've got about 450 or so miles on it right now and need to give it a nice bath when it gets nicer out in a couple days (and it gets a little warmer and sunny).

There's a 24 hours of Lemons race this weekend at PittRace that I might check out to put a few more back road miles on it (the new black one). I really like how quiet and peaceful the new seems compared to what I did/had done to the blue one that now has the track gear and accompanying noises and vibrations (Hasport engine mounts, Carcepts adjustable rear bar riding lower on MCS 2WNR dampers, MCS front camber plates, etc).

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 am

Zyg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:12 pm Gap insurance!
Gap will cover the difference in insurance pay out and loan, but that doesn't mean gap covers:
-Cover cash on top of loan amount given dealer mark-up = ~$10-70k over MSRP
-Cost of replacing the vehicle due to dealer mark-up = ''

Several in the community work in the insurance industry and confirmed this scenario.
Type-R Expo

Zyg

Post by Zyg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm

I do understand, and I'd be embarrassed to say just how much money I've put into my Agean Blue '17 on top of the purchase price. :moneyburn:

Some day I may consider some type of assigned value policy but for the time being it's just another "civic" on my policy.
Last edited by Zyg on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:02 pm

Zyg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm I do understand, and I'd be embarrassed to say just how much money I've put into my Agean Blue '17 on top of the purchase price. :moneyburn:

Some day I may consider some type of assigned value policy but for the time being it's just another "civic" on my policy.
I feel a stated value policy is best for you, anyone who is forced to pay above sticker, or for golden era cars. I'll be going stated value soon. I need to revisit the ol' collector car process again. For golden era owners, we have a thread here for those wanting to go down this path.
Type-R Expo

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Zyg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:12 pm ...New car has the "sensing" functions for lane keeping and most importantly cruise control w/distance keeping.

The biggest differences are the use of buttons for the major functions on the new car's touch screen, as well as a physical rotary button for volume and on/off for the radio (where the earlier years you had to go through the touch screen menu which was a bit tedious and touchy while driving).

I like the suede steering wheel feel better than the leather in the '17.

Floating two piece rotors on the new car vs. the single piece drilled iron/steel ones of the earlier cars.

Noticed that there are a couple little segments in the rear vents that have been opened up/venting, next to the little new elements in/on the rear "vents".

Also noticed that there is a kind of foam cup attached to the inside of the gas filler lid (because in the older car if you overfill the fuel tank due to its small size it will smell for quite a bit)...
These are sound like nice feature bumps. It makes me want one again...heh

The radio button especially would annoy me. That was my biggest complaint with the Alpine Carplay unit I put into my ITR.
Type-R Expo