Suggest a non-coilover suspension setup

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
SKO_ITR

Post by SKO_ITR » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 am

Currently the car has Tanabe Sustec coilovers, looking to possibly switch over to non-coilover setup and just spring and shock but a little lower than stock. Trying to keep it simple and never will be adjusting height once set.

Any suggestions? I see Spoon has a setup that lowers 30mm from stock.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 am

H&R makes a couple sets as well which are quality in my experience. I ran their OE sport springs with konis on my old LS project with pretty good result.

Ride was comfortable on the street but sporty. Not as stiff as you’d want to get really aggressive on a track but I’ve heard the same said of the Spoon progressive springs, it’s generally the trade off unless getting into very high end dampers.

This is how my LS sat.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: Suggest a non-coilover suspension setup

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:14 pm

ko_samuel wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 am Currently the car has Tanabe Sustec coilovers, looking to possibly switch over to non-coilover setup and just spring and shock but a little lower than stock. Trying to keep it simple and never will be adjusting height once set.

Any suggestions? I see Spoon has a setup that lowers 30mm from stock.
What is/are your use case(s)? Spirited driving, daily drive, AutoX, or HPDE's? What is your desired comfort level?
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

SKO_ITR

Post by SKO_ITR » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Spirited driving and weekend only car. Comfort not a requirement. GC’s abs Koni’s are tried and trued but I might try to stay away from adjustable coils for a simple setup.

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm

ko_samuel wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm Spirited driving and weekend only car. Comfort not a requirement. GC’s abs Koni’s are tried and trued but I might try to stay away from adjustable coils for a simple setup.
Help me understand your perspective against height adjustable setups?
Type-R Expo

KIngpinMachine

Post by KIngpinMachine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:50 pm

My Integra GSR street car is on Koni Yellows and GC coilovers and I never mess with it. It has never been corner balanced or anything and is running such low spring rates it doesn't matter a whole lot. But one thing I like about adjustable height is setting the rake (or lack thereof) the way I want it. Also, people overlook the fact that race style springs are a contributor to handling performance. I was talking with Trever over at MCS (expensive but awesome dampers) a while back about this. A potential customer here was asking me about MCS 1 way dampers on OEM springs/hardware. Trever said you can make it work but you will give something up in the handling department.

Sporky82
Badge Number: searching

Post by Sporky82 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm

Suspension techniques or KW both offer a entry level coilover. I know you wanted a fixed height setup but you will be limited. The tried and true koni and h&r or eibach is really good but the technology hasn't changed in years, most modern coilovers (Good brands, not skunk2) have refined their shock valving and springs rates to give the driver the best feel on the road.

I bought my ITR last summer with Skunk2 Pro coilovers and they were absolute junk, stiff, bouncy and only performed well while parked in the garage. I've been using KW exclusively since 2004 on all my vehicles and will never stray. I'm currently waiting to install some V3's on my car once the rest of my suspension bits show up.

KIngpinMachine

Post by KIngpinMachine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:03 pm

@Sporky82 You make a very good point. Damper technology has evolved a lot in the last decade or so. I bought my GSR in 2006 so the Koni/GC setup was a good bang for the buck. I don't know much about KW but I do know there are a number of quality offerings now that offer dampers that provide for a better ride AND better handling even with higher than OEM spring rates. Nothing wrong with Koni Yellows but they get harsh quick with stiffer springs and are very dated.

SKO_ITR

Post by SKO_ITR » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:43 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm
ko_samuel wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm Spirited driving and weekend only car. Comfort not a requirement. GC’s abs Koni’s are tried and trued but I might try to stay away from adjustable coils for a simple setup.
Nothing against them, but personally I just don't have the time or patience to fine tune or corner balance it. Nor have I found myself adjusting the height after they have been installed on any of my cars. Was looking for a set it and forget it setup. Also from my experience, sometimes the collars get lose and make noise, that of course could be more user error on not tighten it enough.

I'm open to any setup, what's a good entry level setup these days?

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 am

SKO_ITR wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:43 pm
coolhandluke wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm
Nothing against them, but personally I just don't have the time or patience to fine tune or corner balance it. Nor have I found myself adjusting the height after they have been installed on any of my cars. Was looking for a set it and forget it setup. Also from my experience, sometimes the collars get lose and make noise, that of course could be more user error on not tighten it enough.

I'm open to any setup, what's a good entry level setup these days?
Thank you, your answers help steer recommendations.

For shocks, Koni yellows are tried and true, and easily rebuilt or revalved by shops around the US. This is important when a shock starts to fail, ie leaking fluid. Many overseas brands require buying net-net, Koni's are easily serviced. They can also be upgraded if/when your needs change.

For springs, Eibach has been a longtime supporter of this community by sponsoring Type R Expo. Many of their current/former employees are members of this community as well. I have most experience with Eibach as I tend to support those who support me/my community. Disclaimer, I've never ran just springs due to the risk of unhappy ride height, rake, etc. If you are okay with the risks above and your use cases are more spirited driving, the typical off the shelf spring rates with these setups may work well.

Update Eibach Sportline springs are discontinued for golden era Honda's.

If you decide (later) to opt for adjustable height or higher spring rates, the Ground Control + Eibach combo will easily work with the Koni Yellow investment.
Type-R Expo