1997 Gsr & 2002 AP1 track/build log

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
PatHidden

1997 Gsr & 2002 AP1 track/build log

Post by PatHidden » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Well, I thought I would make a thread about my beloved integra(and other cars) haha. Started Tracking Dec. 2012 then I took a long hiatus, then came back April 2017. I've done four track weekends since and plan on doing more. So this thread will serve a purpose of kinda keeping me organized in prepping and tuning the car etc.

Current main specs (as 02/23/19)

1997 Integra Gsr
-B18c1 block B16 Head, Itr Cams, Mugen Head gasket, Spoon header ,off-the-shelf LDL "road race" tune on S100,
-98 spec Itr Trans w/ b16 4th & 5th, Kaaz LSD
-JRZ RS Coilovers 2-way
-15x8s w/ 225 Nt01s
-approx. 2150lbs with me
-no aero

2002 s2000 (s2k challenge street class spec):
-stock drivetrain
-k&n intake
-comptech catback
-testpipe
-17x9 w/ federal RSR 220tw
-no aero
-JRZ Race Singles

Lets get started!
Last edited by PatHidden on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PatHidden

Re: 1997 Gsr(and other cars) track/build log

Post by PatHidden » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

April Speedventures @ Spring Mountain:

First track weekend since forever. The rust was real let me tell you. Also, the car had a lot of changes since the last time.
Big changes included:
-JRZs
-Power Steering
-205 Nt01 to 225
-no more sunroof
-Stack display bling :moneyburn:

Overall, the weekend went well. I did have some oil temp issues (280+ degrees) and fuel starvation from me just running low on fuel (no gas gauge) Friends from Cali came out to compete in the Hff Challenge which was awesome.

Placed 2nd in Mod class with a 2:52.xxx or something. They only count second and third sess. I was disappointed with my time because I know my car's capability. I went out last Sess and put down a 2:45.929. I was satisfied, since the time fell in line with super mod guys.

Pb lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr6WL9r1kFs&t=6s

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Updates after April track day:
(Sorry no pics)
-Setrab 25 row oil cooler (maybe a little big for my application)
-Canton sandwich plate
-Stack Gas gauge

No Other Changes

May Porsche Club @ Spring Mountain:

This time I was excited because I wanted to see where my oil temps landed and of course to see where I could improve.

It was a hotter day than prior track day and oil temps were great. They stayed consistent at 230ish, so the oil cooler is working. However, I noticed my water temps getting around 210, which is higher than normal for me. My theory is that the big oil cooler is blocking a lot of fresh air to the radiator, so the radiator is getting a lot of the 230 degree air off the oil cooler (will address later). Another added bonus with cooler was my oil pressure was slightly higher because the decrease in oil temps. ;)

ended the day with a 2:43.373 :thumbup: still time on the table thou, such a large track, I think i could do a 39.

pb lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDQw5Si5A0&t=2s

I contribute the pb to just getting more track time and getting use to car again. I did however, start using a tire pyrometer to dial in pressures. I found out with the tire pyrometer that I either need less camber in the rear or a softer spring to get the temps uniform across the tire. I did have a spreadsheet with all the data but its got deleted by mistake :hammer:

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Updates since April track day:
-Spoon thermostat (just doing preventative maintenance)
-Spoon fan switch (just doing preventative maintenance)
-New catch can setup (old setup was just ghetto)
-Pw jdm rear strut bar
-new exhaust setup

catch can setup:
bung and moroso catch can:
Port on rear of block and black box block plug:
Final product:

Old exhaust:

Got sick of this thing, so loud! which I like but not on the drive to the track (I don't trailer :hammer:)

New exhaust setup:
b pipe
axle back

The whole setup is V band, and the axle back can be replaced with a stock muffler that I use for the drive to the track. No pics of the stock muffler with vband(sry). Also, I am using a Spoon 4-2-1 header with a tig welded v band :drink: :thumbup:

September Porsche Club @ Spring Mountain (again)

I kinda felt like my driving was off the whole weekend. Car seemed more sensitive to trail braking than before. Now, I did add that rear pw jdm strut bar. I never bought into strut bars actually doing something, but maybe there's something to it? I only added it because I was developing a crack near my left rear shock tower. Not sure if it was me or the tires being on their last weekend or the strut bar. Had a couple offs and for some reason the catch can was filling all the up within 3 hot laps. So I only did a few laps and came in each session. I didn't take any tire temps. :hammer:

Ended the weekend with the best of 2:44.1xx.
2:44.1xx lap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlvZ1u4icG8

Last turn blooper! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j571ojm73D4

Bonus footie:

This track weekend my buddy Billy came out with his K20a eg and did a 2:43. So I made a head-to-head vs my 43 lap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvD6T4 ... e=youtu.be

Heres a link to his blog: http://functiontheory.com/?sfw=pass

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 pm

updates:
-New Nt01s (New to me, bought used. Were only used on streets dated 2014..... )
-Aim solo
-welded bung on front of valve cover vs the rear

catch can setup 2.0:

So I put the bung on the front of another valve cover I had. I was told it would fix my catch can from overflowing because the baffle in front on the cover. So we will see.

October Speedventures @ Buttonwillow

Weekend started with a 5 hour drive from Vegas. Had a little scare with the CEL kicking on 30 minutes into the drive. Before, I stopped to investigate, I dropped down to 4th to see if vtec would crossover. It did not, which made me realize that I may have not plugged my speed sensor back in after replacing my trans oil. I stopped and it was unplugged. Fixed the issue and back on the road.

So the next day I get to Buttonwillow. I was full of nerves because I had a goal in mind and Its been 2.75 years since the last time I was at Buttonwllow.

First session, I already did a 2flat during the session and had a predictive of 1:59. However, I had a little mix up on passing my buddy on the last turn. I was off line and had to brake more to make the turn properly. I didn't brake enough and went four off. Nothing crazy, came back on track smoothly. I was happy I pb'd first session then I pb'd with a little faster 2 flat next session.

Ended first day with 2:00.5xx :P

I was still having the catch can over flow issues. Sean told me that the port on the back on the block was causing the issue. I got a -10an plug at the track side shop. Plugged it and it was fixed :hammer:

Next day, I knew I had to do a sub2 to make this trip worth it. First Session, I did it!!

1:59.41x lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDENn0kNBdw time on the table, lots of rookie issues I can fix easily.

Wanted to get a little faster next session. I did not, I ended up with a nice blooper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9Pve_U6-w

I'll get it next time. New goal is 57s on this configuration

Now that I hit this goal, I want to actually get the engine tuned and get coil on plug.

The c1 that could:
Last edited by PatHidden on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:16 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I have a soft spot for GS-R Integras. I still miss my 95.

:hammer:

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Awesome thread Patrick! I'v enjoyed following the updates. I'm happy to see you back out there. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 am

coolhandluke wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:07 pm Awesome thread Patrick! I'v enjoyed following the updates. I'm happy to see you back out there. :thumbup:
I'm glad too. I am trying to go to Hff Finale in Dec. You should come out!
cheezthis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:16 am :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have a soft spot for GS-R Integras. I still miss my 95.
More to come!

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 am

Updates:
-4 Helper springs
-Pair of 700lbs springs
-4 spring collars
-949 racing Needle Thrust Bearing set

So when I got my JRZs, they were used and only came with one pair of springs. I got some second hand swift springs for the rear. I never had helper springs. So I decided to buy all that stuff and some softer springs for the rear of the car. Based on what I was seeing from tire temps, I either needed softer springs in rear or less camber. I went with the softer spring because I could always get the rear stiffer from my rear sway. The rear sway has always been on full soft. Also, from what I read, I should tune with springs first before anything else. Not sure how accurate that it, but I am doing it. :P

I also added the thrust bearings to help the spring turn during high stress. Not sure if it will be noticeable but they were cheap.

disassembled each damper:

final product:

reinstalled the coilovers and headed over to Zenith Auto to align the car. I use to work at Zenith during college and my old boss (and friend) lets me use the shop anytime. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I set ride height, and reset my sway bar endlinks per 949 racings instructions. I don't think I properly set them up before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT80zCBMUyc&t=2s

I did the same exact specs as my last alignment. The front camber seems on point based on tire temps. I did not change rear because I changed rear springs rate. Just trying to only change one major variable at a time.

Next event is Chuckawalla in November. :moneyburn:

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Really cool to read.

About the rear strut bar making a difference: I think they can (strut bars). I used to have an S2000. The handling was a little jumpy and I put a front strut bar and could tell a difference. It seemed to put a little understeer in mid-corner which helped to improve control a little bit.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.