ITR Fuel Tank

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

ITR Fuel Tank

Post by aklackner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:04 pm

It looks like each year the ITR has a unique part number for the fuel tank but I haven't been able to find much online about the changes from standard models.

Does anyone know what the difference is with ITR gas tanks? Is baffling different or something else?

I'm looking for a replacement due to moderate exterior rusting around the seam on my tank and noticed differing part numbers. What have others done when replacing tanks?

My tank still has a good seal for now so I could get after the rust if there's going to be some difference but if difference isn't significant than I might just grab a clean tank from another model and run with that.

Thanks,

Alan

Swift

Re: ITR Fuel Tank

Post by Swift » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 pm

aklackner wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:04 pm
Does anyone know what the difference is with ITR gas tanks? Is baffling different or something else?
I am also very curious about the differences/baffling etc...

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Anyone have experience with a Spectra replacement tank on an ITR?
Looks like they still make an 00-01 tank and it does list the Type R as an application, not that that really means anything from an aftermarket manufacturer.

If I get back home before it's too dark I'll try to grab some photos of the interior of the 01 ITR tank compared to the 98 GSR tank I also have.
Last edited by aklackner on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 pm

I snapped some photos of the 01 ITR and 98 GSR fuel tanks.

The tanks are very similar. There are some interior differences but at this point it’s hard to attribute any differences to ITR vs non-ITR parts. To me the changes seem to be related more to sensor/valve changes between the years but I have a hard time believing Honda would use an ITR specific part if there wasn’t some reasoning.

Side-by-side

01 ITR pump opening

98 GSR pump opening

01 ITR filter basket

98 GSR filter basket

01 ITR to left rear

98 GSR to left rear

01 ITR to right rear

98 GSR to right rear

01 ITR to front

98 GSR to front

I think I’m going to order a new Spectra tank through local auto parts store so if something doesn’t look right I can easily return without any worry about shipping damage and can easily return. I’ll share photos once I have in hand.

Swift

Post by Swift » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 am

Very Interesting to see the inside of these tanks. I have never stuck a camera in there to look around before. I installed a Walboro 255 fuel pump back in 2004 and haven't opened it back up since then. Thanks for posting this info. Looking forward to the aftermarket fuel tank comparison. :thumbup:

Swift

Post by Swift » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 am

Is there any guidelines/suggestions on how often the tank's two supporting straps should be replaced. I inspect mine each time I'm back there, and they look decent, but mine are now 25 years old. Sorry not trying to jack your thread by any means. Just thought it was related.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am

I'm not aware of a specific service life on the tank straps but researching the tanks I did see a lot of information about the straps failing on those seriously tracking Integras. There's even some scary YouTube videos where this has happened.

General recommendation seemed to be to safe guard the tank with additional strapping while on the track.

For street use I'd guess we'd be fine with regular inspections to ensure straps, and fasteners are snug and corrosion free.

shuttlepilot

Post by shuttlepilot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am

From the old JDM product literature, they noted the wave absorber was deleted in the tank on ITRs to save weight. The internal pics of those tanks do look the same so I don't know if that kind of change made it to the USDM versions.

From my experience with other cars, tank straps fail by rusting away in flakey layers. The outside section generally looks pretty good until the near the very end. Water gets trapped on the inside face of the strap and both the tank and strap rust. Steel tanks develop pinholes around the strap areas. Plastic tanks see the straps rusting in through from the inside face until nothing but a cosmetic surface is left.

Sand blast or repeatedly strike surface of the rusty face with a hammer to break off the flakey rust.
The high up section is usually not rusty. Measure thickness with a caliper and compare against the non-rusty section. I would definitely get rid of the strap of it is half or less in original thickness for a daily driver.

If your tank and straps are good, it is not a bad idea to sand blast them and have them oshphoed and painted with epoxy and polyurethane. Treat the seam of the tank with corrosion oil afterwards to stave off future rust.

Swift

Post by Swift » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Thats great information on both the gas tank and gas tank straps. Thank you. I have seen one video from the Nurburgring where the guy driving that white ITR hits the wall pretty hard after his gas tank suddenly left his car at a high speed part of the ring. That is exactly what turned me on to this issue of straps breaking actually. I will just replace my straps out of an abundance of caution since I am tracking my 94 Integra RS.

Do you guys ever hear your gas sloshing back and forth after stopping briskly in your ITRs? I have a non-ITR gas tank obviously and I dont ever hear gas sloshing in my Integra. My 2011 Civic Si sedan makes sloshing gas noises all the damn time. Im curious if you guys hear your gas sloshing? If so, maybe there is some truth to ITR tanks not having that particular baffle inside them?

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 am

I am loving the pics and participation in this thread. I live in az and it hits 116 pretty often here in the summer. Cars here don't rust or have any rusty bolts like some of the garage kept east coast cars. Are you guys replacing these because of rust? My cousins have bmx bikes from the 80s back there and they really didn't show the same surface rust as the cars I see . Probably the chemicals available in 70s and 80s but I don't know since I don't live there.