Hardlines

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Hardlines

Post by aklackner » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:01 pm

As work on the undercarriage of my project progresses I got the hardlines out from underneath and noticed some small rust spots on the fuel vent line.

I can pull some of the hardlines from my old 97 LS but the vent line is a larger diameter on the 01 and discontinued so new OEM isn’t an option.

As far as I see options (in order of preference) I could try to clean up the rust and recoat the line(s) if there’s no real damage, if any damage I could 1. cut, flare, splice in a section, 2. hit the wrecking yards nearby and grab a used one, 3. have a replacement custom made, 4. Convert hardlines to braided stainless lines. Since I’m in SoCal rust isn’t likely to be an issue on used parts so I’m leaning in the direction of complete used line(s) but since I have some time before the hardlines will go back in I’m looking for suggestions and what others have done.
Last edited by aklackner on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stin1

Re: Hardlines

Post by Stin1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:20 am

I don't exactly have any input on your exact question . Maybe it will help on your options. Is the hard line you are looking for model specific or year specific? If it's a year thing and you are in socal hit the yards and check the vin before pulling the part. I have a 97 civic ex , a 98 itr, and a 2000 civic. Each car seems to have different evap systems on the firewall. I have been looking at em1s lately and the evap is different than my 2000 Dx too . The dx does have a evap line that is about 3-4 times the size of my itr and 97 civic.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am

I’m not 100% that it would be model specific but for Integras years the 94-96, 97, 98-99, 00-01 each have different evap systems my 01 has the large vent tube and the gas tank has the top center vent valve. I’ll have to check some part numbers and see if civic could be an appropriate donor, though I doubt I’d have an issue finding an 00-01 or several in a yard around LA.

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:02 pm

I havent messed with the underneath fuel lines too much but will probably take a look at mine once I get my car back from paint. I am removing ABS and replaced most lines with OEM. One of the lines is not available so Ill probably be using pre-made line from Advanced Auto. Comes with fittings and flares already done and its inexpensive. It just needs to be bent to workable shape. Not sure how long the fuel line are pr diameter but you could look into that as an option.

This is what Im going with for my right front brake line.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pol ... r+japanese
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 pm

It would really suck to do all that work and end up with a evap leak. Really sucks Acura is discontinuing emission related parts.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Nice affordable option if you can get right ID and close on length. Thanks.
When bending do you end up with constrictions, like an exhaust that’s not mandrel bent?

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Of you use the right size bender I think its good. I havent done mine yet. Obviously the tighter the bend the more chance of kinking it. Im gonna do my best to avoid sharp angle bends where possible.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:37 pm

RTW have you considered using the line from a 92-95 civic for your setup? I know it would most likely line up and look allot better than bending your own line from the auto parts store. I used both front civic lines and a 4040 prop valve from a 90-93 integra W/O ABS and everything lines up perfect except only one bolt lines up on the firewall.. if you have the prop valve from the RS integra then I bet the civic line will still line up easily.. when bending your own lines if you've never done it before you will probably not like the outcome if you are anything like me...

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Nope wasnt aware of that, figured it wouldnt line up correctly at the prop valve. I have all the pieces for an RS except the front right hardline because its no longer available. Maybe Ill look into the civic line but it probably wont connect to the RS prop valve without tweaking it.

The line I bought from the parts store looks OEM its just a matter of getting clean bends. It was such a cheap part I figured it is worth a shot.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

DC231

Post by DC231 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 am

yeah those premade lines are def cheap and work great. I used some on a previous build but wasn't happy with the bends at all. I agree the civic line may need to be tweaked slightly to work but the outcome will probably be better looking than the auto parts store line in my opinion. I was even able to get the civic lines secured into the oem hardline clips on the firewall.. also it looks like that line from the civic is still available new at around $50. part# 46310-SR3-A01