Wet rear bumper support

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dpine

Wet rear bumper support

Post by Dpine » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm

I was under the rear the car today changing a exhaust gasket on the muffler section. Looking up I noticed from behind the bumper the bottom of the bumper support is soaken wet. The car has been out side and it’s rained a ton this week. I did pull up the carpet and the spare tire well is dry, under the car in the rear is dry as well. I popped the trunk and the path ways that go down the sides of the trunk opening are clean. The tops of the lights are clear of obstruction.

I have not pulled the back interior plastic panel or bumper/ rear lights.

Could the tail light gaskets be the problem?

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

RTW DC2R

Re: Wet rear bumper support

Post by RTW DC2R » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Im not sure I understand what area you are talking about. Most leaks would lead to water in the trunk or spare tire well.

Tail light gaskets are a good bet if they are original. There are replacements on ebay for like $20 and seem to work well.

Water can also enter around the rear hatch weather stripping, the antenna grommet, even the hatch hinge mount location.

Ive also seen water come in the top of the rear shock tower where the strut mounts to the body if its not a tight seal when driving. Stock suspension has a good seal but aftermarket might not.

Otherwise just sounds like water pooling up on top of the rear bumper where it mounts on the support to the body. Thats exterior though so not sure.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:35 am

Here are a few pictures to describe what I’m talking about. I’m m not sure about the antenna leaking I will need to pull panels I believe for thatImage

I am also wondering now if my car cover is allowing water to pool on the bumper and the water is seeping down between the gap were the bumper meets the rear body panels

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 pm

The rear bumper bar commonly rusts. I recommend removing the rear bumper to access the bumper bar. From there, one can decide the extent. Others have sand blasted and anodized this piece to save and prevent further damage.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 am

I picked up a used rust-free rear beam on ebay for $50 shipped.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.