Anyone else running PLM Today Rep + J's Racing FX60RS?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Jdmspoonitr

Post by Jdmspoonitr » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:57 am

Weird situation.

Have a Toda Rep header (don't kill me for it needed a header in a pinch when my Lovefab broke) and a DC2 spec J's Racing FX60RS.

For some reason this setup is requiring a custom length cat to make everything work. Looks like I need something about 1" longer than a JDM length cat.

Anyone else having similar issues with their exhaust setup? I know they make test pipes that allow for some length adjustment, but I still want to run a cat since I don't want to stink up my house every time I start the car.

My options are:

1) Cut my current cat and add 1" of pipe
2) Create a 3 bolt flange exhaust extension (1" of pipe and two flanges) to bridge the gap.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ken

aw614

Re: Anyone else running PLM Today Rep + J's Racing FX60RS?

Post by aw614 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:29 am

I did option 1 when I ran a GSR header with no o2 bung on my car. I had an aftermarket cat that had to be extended, didn't have problems with it and it worked. But in your case, if you go back to your lovefab header you'll have to cut and reweld again?

I see ebay has a few of option 2, but it looks like it might be too long? Or will it work? There are several others of varying lengths I saw.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Stainless- ... Swq2pbRavm

I like option 2 if you plan on using the PLM header as a temp solution and you go back to the other header
-Andrew Wong

Jdmspoonitr

Post by Jdmspoonitr » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I am trying to figure out why my header is short to begin with...to my understanding PLM only makes one Toda rep for B series.

Will be selling the LoveFab as it's made for a bigger displacement B-series. In the future I'd probably get a custom header from Myers Competition.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm

You don't by any chance have a stock header to compare with the toda rep? I always thought the toda reps would be around the same length as the jdm itr header configuration, which is slightly longer than the usdm header i think.
-Andrew Wong

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:42 pm

If you wanted to just build your own.

I used:
(Had to cut in half and use the swivel side of it)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3 ... UTF8&psc=1

(Universal cat)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MX ... UTF8&psc=1

Blox 2.5 flange
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z ... UTF8&psc=1

I got underneath the car an measured the distance between the flange on the end of the header and B pipe.

I mocked everything up (vertically) and cut where I needed to cut on the CAT (keeping in mind the 3 bolt swivel flange length that was going on the back. I marked it off and took in to the exhaust shop and had them weld it for a few bucks.

For my application I had to cut an inch off each side of the CAT.

I have a Hytech header with a comptech b pipe for reference.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:15 pm

The jdm b pipe is different length than the usdm version. The cat is also different. I don't recall about the actual manifold length . I have a real toda header and a test pipe for it to bolt up to the usdm exhaust. I can try and get a pic later comparing the test pipe to a stock cat if you would like. If I recall correctly it's also different from usdm cat length.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Here are a few shots of the OEM Jdm 98+ header coming into JDM cat to JDM Mugen B- pipe if it helps at all Toda should be the same.

Lmk if any measurements would be helpful.

ImageImage

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 pm

I've also used this page as a reference for JDM exhaust measurements. I believe the AUDM exhaust is pretty similar to USDM.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread ... ifferences

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 pm

How close is it to a rep ? I just checked my test pipe versus the stock cat for my toda header that bolted to a stock exhaust and they are the same length. The article acklander posted is awesome. No one else ever mentions the three bolt flange is also larger than usdm. I never knew about the 98 spec exhaust having 3 resonators. My ek9 exhaust has two and looks like like a shorter 96 spec.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 pm

IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG (336.6 KiB) Viewed 856 times