Motor Mounts

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
noahf

Motor Mounts

Post by noahf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:54 pm

So my ears and will to live have been decreasing everyday that i daily this ek9. and its come to the point where i need to change the motor mounts. its just become real apparent that alot of the noise/vibration is unnatural and needs to be cured with new mounts. now ive done research, but as always, its hard to get a straight answer about these questions:

Whats the difference between usdm and jdm motor mounts?
Whats the difference with Mugen motor mounts?
Whats the difference with Spoon motor mounts?

Price wise, it looks like usdm (em1) motor mounts will be roughly 460 + shipping from an online site. Thats oem usdm honda parts.
Mugens are 430 from Kings (not sure if available)
Spoons are 540

leaning towards usdm motor mounts but if there is a reason for comfy and imporvement, im not against the spoon/mugen sets.

DC231

Re: Motor Mounts

Post by DC231 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm

maximum vibration relief will come with oem mounts. the others will be slightly stiffer than oem. are you using the 2 torque mounts? if so then definitely go with the oem units in my opinion as it sounds like you need maximum relief to me. if you are not using them your new mounts life span will likely be short if you are hooking up and banging gears.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi! I went from mystery mounts on my em1 . I did the transmission one first. It resulted in a quieter cabin, but not great. I did the rear and right side later. It's so quiet compared to before, I don't feel anything sometimes. This is my em1. My 2k hatch has oem on everything except the left motor mount is a hasport mount. It's definitely louder than the em1. It's pretty similar to the dc2 with stock mounts on the interior.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Im on the Spoon Mounts on my Integra, honestly it doesn't feel any different from the stock mounts I had before I did my motor swap. At the time of my swap back in 2017, my transmission and driver side mount were the original units, but the rear mount and front torque inserts were replaced around in 2014ish. I went with the Spoon Mounts b/c at the time, the overall price was cheaper than buying each of the OEM pieces or buying the Mugen pieces.

I think the only sign I think they are stiffer than stock is the shift linkage vibration I am getting from 7000 to 8600 rpm that goes away if you hold the shifter. But I had the mfactory shift bushings installed. (recently removed the rear piece for a stock part to see if that solves the buzzing noises, but it didn't). It did seem to solve the 70 to 80mph buzz from the shifter,
-Andrew Wong

noahf

Post by noahf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:41 pm

wow, fast responses! almost like the old days!

thanks guys, think ill be going with new oem mounts.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Yep, OEM is most the comfortable. I had Mugen mounts on my old GS-R and still do on the current DB8R. They're slightly stiffer, and you notice it both on track as well as around town. The dash can be a bit "louder" if that makes sense. I might go back to OEM on the DB8R now that it's not tracked.
:hammer:

noahf

Post by noahf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 pm

there are times when my rear view mirror is unusable due to the shake. i just always thought it was the exhaust being horrible but it wasnt until DC231 or RTW mentioned something in the transmission thread about mounts causing so much noise. and ive been looking but finally bit the bullet. $480 shipped later for OEM mounts for a 21 year old car. having quite drive times is so worth it though.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Yeah rear view mirror shaking like that is definitely a stiff mount issue. I don't recall if you said somewhere else but what mounts are you currently using do you know? Man I've ridden in street cars with solid billet mounts and that shit will make your feet go numb

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 pm

jayhaire wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:55 pm ...I had Mugen mounts on my old GS-R and still do on the current DB8R. They're slightly stiffer, and you notice it both on track as well as around town. The dash can be a bit "louder" if that makes sense. I might go back to OEM on the DB8R now that it's not tracked.
I don't recall specific excessive motor mount vibrations in the GS-R, but it also had a variety of stiff suspensions and came with two bad rear wheel bearings. I measured 89db at pickup. :clownshoes:

I would avoid HardRace, they didn't last 10k. OEM might be an acceptable balance between performance, comfort, durability, and price, assuming availability. I would check with Cris @ IRUNOEM parts:
https://www.acuraexpressparts.com/irunoem
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:21 pm

noahf wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 pm there are times when my rear view mirror is unusable due to the shake. i just always thought it was the exhaust being horrible but it wasnt until DC231 or RTW mentioned something in the transmission thread about mounts causing so much noise. and ive been looking but finally bit the bullet. $480 shipped later for OEM mounts for a 21 year old car. having quite drive times is so worth it though.
Is the mirror dropping off as well? I posted a fix for that if so on the ek.