WTB: OEM ITR head unit / CD player

Type R Specific Items belong here
98DC2R

Re: WTB: OEM ITR head unit / CD player

Post by 98DC2R » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:58 pm

another alternative is the cd head unit from a 99-01 honda crv (light up amber) or 97-01 honda prelude. just throwin in my 2 cents :moneyburn:
1998 Integra Type R #1076 Mugen & Spoon whoRe :D
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL-NAV Daily mudder & tow rig
2012 Honda Pilot Touring - Wife's cadilac

ff_terror

Post by ff_terror » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pm

thanks for the tip!

Justadad

Post by Justadad » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:06 pm

This might sound crazy but I have a gsr and I took apart my radio in about 10 minutes to investigate the internals. There are very tiny light bulbs with these little blue rubber covers on them. I pulled the covers off and got a red sharpie and very carefully colored the bulbs with the sharpie. It looks exactly like the itr climate control I have in my car. The only thing not Amber is the digital station still is white in color. Cheap hack for any gsr owners looking to do the same if you can deal with the white station numbers you’re set!

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:23 pm

I might have one at my mom's house. Hopefully I'll remember to check as I should be there this weekend.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Justadad wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:06 pm This might sound crazy but I have a gsr and I took apart my radio in about 10 minutes to investigate the internals. There are very tiny light bulbs with these little blue rubber covers on them. I pulled the covers off and got a red sharpie and very carefully colored the bulbs with the sharpie. It looks exactly like the itr climate control I have in my car. The only thing not Amber is the digital station still is white in color. Cheap hack for any gsr owners looking to do the same if you can deal with the white station numbers you’re set!
How tiny are the bulbs? The em1 has two interior bulbs that have little orange condoms that may fit the bulb .

Justadad

Post by Justadad » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 pm

They are extremely tiny and don’t look replaceable. The sharpie actually works and looks very good.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:04 pm

If someone can tear a broken one apart that would be wonderful. The climate control on civics have a blue plastic lense and blue covers on the bulbs. The amber lit counterpart has orange bulbs and the blue plastic is clear. What is on the front lighting up the numbers could be a film.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:58 pm

I tried to tear apart my original mine one and I cracked the housing, not trying that again as I ruined my mint HU 4 years ago and had to find another. :oops:

The Acura CL and EL versions of the radio allow the power antenna to go down if you use the CD player or cassette functions (or that blitz kit to use the cd as an AUX). The CL I think has a green/bright blue backlight, and the EL is orange like the ITR.

I have a faceplate I bought off ebay a few years ago if anyone wants to mess with it to test it out, but I don't remember if it was an integra or CL radio.
-Andrew Wong

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:07 am

You can't dismantle the face plate? I wouldn't open a itr one . I was suggesting a broken one to see what is behind it . Preferably a ls or gsr model so we don't mess up type r parts.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 am

I had issues separating the faceplate from the actual headunit where I cracked the plastic, someone else who is more careful than me did a better job of separating the other one I have. I have a spare acura CL radio I'd be willing to donate to the cause if someone wants it and they are ok with paying shipping for it. I don't know why I ended up buying a few in rough external shape on ebay like 5 years back (and bought another from touringteg a few months ago lol).

I would watch out for the bose headunits from the acura CL, the volume on them are really low and I believe they need an amplifier for them to operate on normal volume.

I can look for the spare faceplate today to see if I can get pictures of it
-Andrew Wong