driver seat position

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dpine

driver seat position

Post by Dpine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm

As I get older I have come to the conclusion that the original seating position isn't working for me any longer. At 6'4" Id like the seat a little lower than factory (lowered or angled). I was wondering if the factory Jap spec recaro's sit lower or if there are other bases and sliders to make the Recaros sit lower?

thanks

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Re: driver seat position

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:52 pm

I have the jdm recaros on bride rails. They sit pretty low. Much lower than my stock gs-r for example.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 pm

The USDM seat sits high (and the steering wheel is way too big). The JDM setup is a tad lower. Like above, I use a Bride rail with Recaros, and it's much better.

I had the Vision rails in my old GS-R. Although those sat low, they were single locking and had a slight movement during braking and such.
:hammer:

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:07 pm

The OEM JDM Recaros & rails are a nice drop over OEM. However, I'm 5'9'', your mileage may vary.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Sort of Fast

Post by Sort of Fast » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm

I've had both the OEM rails and some modified ones for my Recaros. OEM rails have a nice angle upwards from the back moving forward. I found it very comfortable and still relatively low to the ground. HOwever, the current ones I have are modified to be as low as possible as you can see. At 5'8" I have a lot of head room. USDM seats are just regular Integra seats with different material and have always stood up way too tall.
ITR Cult Following: A group of people that has a set of beliefs in which the ITR is viewed as being the bestest FWD ever made, everyone else is wrong.

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks for the reply's.
I think I might pick up a beat up Recaro off of EBAY for a few hundred dollars and have myself a nice winter project.

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 am

Sort of Fast wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm Image

I've had both the OEM rails and some modified ones for my Recaros. OEM rails have a nice angle upwards from the back moving forward. I found it very comfortable and still relatively low to the ground. HOwever, the current ones I have are modified to be as low as possible as you can see. At 5'8" I have a lot of head room. USDM seats are just regular Integra seats with different material and have always stood up way too tall.
In the picture you are showing does the seat have the factory mounting or aftermarket mounting? I am guessing since it looks more flat its after market.

Sort of Fast

Post by Sort of Fast » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Dpine wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 am
In the picture you are showing does the seat have the factory mounting or aftermarket mounting? I am guessing since it looks more flat its after market.
This one is an aftermarket one. I actually sold off the OEM one, but I find after installing a factory JDM ITR steering wheel, I'm forced to move the seat forward a tad, which now I almost would like more incline as it would give my legs a bit more rest.
ITR Cult Following: A group of people that has a set of beliefs in which the ITR is viewed as being the bestest FWD ever made, everyone else is wrong.

Cap

Post by Cap » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:37 am

Dpine wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm . At 6'4" Id like the seat a little lower than factory (lowered or angled).
Hi, I'm 6'5" and I found the legroom was too restricted for me. So, I bought a set of seat rails on eBay, and modified them to have an extra 3 inches of rearward travel. That works for me.

Before I made my own modified system, I bought a fixed generic seat mount intended for a racing seat. After looking it over, I concluded that it would be less difficult to modify the OEM rails. The good part of this project was that when I had some extra seat rails, and also the racing-seat mount, I was able to get some good ideas about the constraints. It turns out that modifying the OEM rails is easy, and you can still use the OEM mounting points if you are able to do some minor metal fabrication.