Values of USDM ITRs after JDM ITRs become legal

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Type R

Re: Values of USDM ITRs after JDM ITRs become legal

Post by Type R » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Car value is determined by supply and demand. They produced nearly 10 times the amount of JDM Type R’s as they did US spec. JDM cars also do not have VIN numbers on motor/trans or body pAnels, also they have no vehicle history reports so it becomes difficult to document or confirm originality and mileage. There is likely more JDM 97 ITR’s in the States than there are US 97 ITR’s, and they aren’t even legal yet.
@USDMITR

boostjunkie33

Post by boostjunkie33 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:56 am

Up here (Toronto)LHD almost always carry a premium over RHD. Not just DC2s, but Supras, RX7s, MR2s follow the same trend. Personally, I would never consider a RHD if the LHD equivalent is available but again that's just my preference. Plus there is always the insurance factor. Only a handful of companies will insure RHDs up here and in recent years its getting tougher due to publicized safety concerns. Maybe its just coincidence but it also seems that RHDs get pulled over more often, perhaps just because they stand out in a crowd.
DD-'23 S3
'93 Miata
'90 CRX SI
'01-1212

MINTY FRESH

Post by MINTY FRESH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:08 am

Hello Everybody,

As mentioned, if there is a LHD equivalent, I believe that it will always be perceived as being more valuable than the RHD version. However, if there isn't one, then the RHD will stand on its own merits and desirability. A good example would be the early Skylines.
As for insuring a RHD its kind of hit and miss. When was I insuring my 2000 Race Base CTR earlier this year I had to tell my insurance company a number of times what it was, including the fact it was RHD and was the rarer version of the EK9. After doing so, and expecting them to give me hard time or offer me an outlandish premium, they responded by saying that since their system did not recognize such a vehicle they would categorize it as a 2000 Civic DX!! This is sweet of course, but they are charging me based on what I paid for the car, plus importation and not on what it would cost me to buy another one in Canada in the same condition.
Next year after I bring it out of storage I am going to have it appraised.

Life is weird.

Minty

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm

I read somewhere that according to Peter Cunningham a 1997 with 10k miles sold for $43,000 on eBay. Does anyone know what happened to that car? I don't remember hearing about that one. Not sure if there are JDM examples with similar mileage/kilometerage.

Lturner

Post by Lturner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 pm

That 97 was in Phoenix a few years back. I believe a dealship bought it.

Iv seen a few low mileage jdm cars with prices around 25k. Plus all the extra fees of getting it over here.
01-0629 PY I think?
00-1587 from the motherland CW
17-01699 RR

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Ok I think I remember that car now because of what looks like a Ford GT in the background in one of the pics.

Lturner

Post by Lturner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Outrun wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm Ok I think I remember that car now because of what looks like a Ford GT in the background in one of the pics.
Yep that’s the one. The one that started this crazy pricing.
01-0629 PY I think?
00-1587 from the motherland CW
17-01699 RR

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm

I predicted 30s but not 40s on it. Clean 97s like that are rare though.
:hammer:

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am

coolhandluke wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pmA four-door is appealing, but only because the US never got it.
Amen to that. It's the only way to acquire a true DB8R. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I have been lusting after this one: http://www.rennsportauto.com/inventory/ ... ra-type-r/. A beautiful example with a complete exterior paint job, only 26,xxx kms, completely refurbished 16's and a few other notables. It drives like new. It has been for sale for almost a year now. I think the owner must have given it to the selling dealer on consignment.

My only issue and why I am hesitant is that it's a 96 spec even though they sourced a USDM 5 lug and gunmetal 16's. I'd really want the 98 spec with the better motor, power folding mirrors, airbags, brakes, etc. Knowing that RHD annoys the shit out of me it would just sit or be built into a Spoon tribute car.

As for a value comparison, the JDM variants here in Canada have always hovered around $10K CAD while USDM/CDM versions are double that. I think the customer base feels that getting into a RHD is a PITA and there doesn't seem to be a strong following for RHD here compared to the U.S. People in the U.S. go as far as to convert a LHD into a RHD for some reason. I never understood that. Even when Jack was doing it eons ago it still seemed kind of odd to me to make a vehicle more difficult to drive. Surely the desire for RHD is much larger in the U.S. and could explain the pricing differences even though they aren't even fully legal there. I don't think the JDM versions will ever reach the values of a USDM ITR when comparing apples to apples minus the drive side.
Last edited by white rocket on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"