myhondahabit oil pan gasket and stud kit

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dpine

Post by Dpine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:30 am

It seems to get good reviews vs the oem gasket. Is it really that good? My gasket is leaking and will need to be replaced.
My hopes would be that the upgraded gasket would take some human error out of the equation when it comes to install the gasket vs oem.

Purplepassiongsr

Re: myhondahabit oil pan gasket and stud kit

Post by Purplepassiongsr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 am

In my experience it is that good. I did a new oe gasket and it still leaked - yes I followed the torque spec and pattern. Replaced with this kit and not a drop since. Not sure how they hold up long term is the only bogie I see

DC231

Post by DC231 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 am

the only way ive ever been able to get the oem gasket not to leak is by using all studs with no bolts. I will be using the honda habit gasket on my 01 PY.. as a side note ive done probably 20+ b series oil pan gaskets and they have all leaked within about 1 year besides the last 4-5 ive done with only studs. seems like a lot has to do with crankcase blow by. most Hondas have a lot of blow by at low rpm idle so you could imagine the force of blow by at 8000+ rpm

I am the Liquor

Post by I am the Liquor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

Used myhondahabit 2x so far on a b18b and b18c1 and both are going strong without leaks. B18b1 has just over 30k miles and b18c1 has around 5k miles no leaks. I have had the b18b1 pan pulled off and put back on with the same gasket and it still doesn’t leak. It’s worth the price over that felpro garbage.
'97 GSR

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:50 pm

I couldn't get mine to stop leaking with the myhondahabit gasket. Not sure what I did wrong, but I also had problems with converting the studs closer to the crank pulley area staying tight. I went back to the bolts b/c of it. The studs didnt stay tight in that section..

I had an OEM gasket on my b18b1 and it was not leaking, but right now with my b18c1, I had the gasket replaced, but am still getting leaks elsewhere, possibly the crank seal and cam seal now. I had put 15k+ of hard miles on the b18b1 without it leaking. But I would assume a b series vtec gets a lot more blowby and higher pressures
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 pm

I’m hesitant about paper type gaskets that can be a pain to remove later. I run a hondata heatshield only for this reason.

Also I’d rather have a gasket blow out than have something else fail if there’s a significant pressure build up in the crankcase. You don’t want to deal with replacing the breather box o-ring while the intake manifold is on (suddenly my comment above should start to make more sense).

The b18b doesn’t have the crankcase breather that the B18c does, so the B18c is better suited to handle stock vtec pressure. Original gaskets that were installed at the factory last easily 100k, so they seem to be able to get them to work on stock.

If not stock and you’re still building enough crankcase pressure to pop the seal try upgrading the breather system (or J’s new valve, and let us know if it works). If you’re stock you might want to try a brand new pan (assuming you’ve re-torqued and checked your wrench) or have rings checked, but I recommend trying a new oil pan first, they are surprisingly sensitive.
Last edited by aklackner on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Ive used the myhondahabit gasket a couple times, both times it worked great. But it can be a BITCH to take off if/when the time comes. It tends to come apart in pieces from my experience and I literally had to spend hours scraping it off without damaging the oil pan surface.

I now use the Felpro Permadry oil pan gasket, the one with a rigid core and rings to help prevent over torquing and smashing the gasket. There are two part numbers, one ends in T, the other ends in R (this one is like a normal OEM gasket). You want the one that ends in T.

Felpro OS30630T Oil Pan Gasket

http://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblog ... gines.html
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

boostjunkie33

Post by boostjunkie33 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Good info, I was about to order the normal felpro gasket.
DD-'23 S3
'93 Miata
'90 CRX SI
'01-1212

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Appreciate all the replies from everyone. The fel pro gasket is intriguing at halfish the price of the hondahabit gasket.

Blurple_Gooch

Post by Blurple_Gooch » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:01 pm

RTW DC2R wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 pm Ive used the myhondahabit gasket a couple times, both times it worked great. But it can be a BITCH to take off if/when the time comes. It tends to come apart in pieces from my experience and I literally had to spend hours scraping it off without damaging the oil pan surface.

I now use the Felpro Permadry oil pan gasket, the one with a rigid core and rings to help prevent over torquing and smashing the gasket. There are two part numbers, one ends in T, the other ends in R (this one is like a normal OEM gasket). You want the one that ends in T.

Felpro OS30630T Oil Pan Gasket

http://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblog ... gines.html
Ryan, are you using the stock oil pan on your car?
I have to order one of these Felpro permadry kits and was also considering the Moroso pan.
SSBP DC2 GSR w/ JDM ITR JRSC
911 997 C2S