KONI YELLOW SPORT WITH ITR SPRINGS

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
eericc

KONI YELLOW SPORT WITH ITR SPRINGS

Post by eericc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Hello All,

I was wondering how does the ITR feel with koni sports with itr springs at the softest settings. Is it harsh? Feel Comfortable? Please give me insights on the ride quality. Right now I have Bilstein B8's and they are really rough for my ride.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Re: KONI YELLOW SPORT WITH ITR SPRINGS

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 pm

Not gonna be harsh. My gs-r has koni and itr springs, and I keep them on full hard mostly, cause I like it sporty. Full soft is definitely gonna allow more body roll.

The setup feels very close to oem ITR imo.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

eericc

Post by eericc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:53 pm

Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 pm Not gonna be harsh. My gs-r has koni and itr springs, and I keep them on full hard mostly, cause I like it sporty. Full soft is definitely gonna allow more body roll.

The setup feels very close to oem ITR imo.
Thanks for your input! I will mostly swap out my shocks and go with the Koni yellows.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:26 pm

I recommend having a baseline to measure what you have today versus what you are considering, before making the investment. "Harsh" is subjective to the user, mood, particular road, etc.

A quick search found this:
-Koni Yellow Front & Rear dampening calculators

I would find the specs for Bilstein to directly compare, there may even be side by side available. I also recommend reading up how the overall suspension works together. For example, I wonder if the OEM USDM or JDM ITR springs do not match the valving of your Bilstein off the shelf B8's. If so, the issue could also persist with Koni Yellows. The data would confirm and guide you towards re-valving the current Bilsteins or opting for the Koni Yellows.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

eericc

Post by eericc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:26 pm I recommend having a baseline to measure what you have today versus what you are considering, before making the investment. "Harsh" is subjective to the user, mood, particular road, etc.

A quick search found this:
-Koni Yellow Front & Rear dampening calculators

I would find the specs for Bilstein to directly compare, there may even be side by side available. I also recommend reading up how the overall suspension works together. For example, I wonder if the OEM USDM or JDM ITR springs do not match the valving of your Bilstein off the shelf B8's. If so, the issue could also persist with Koni Yellows. The data would confirm and guide you towards re-valving the current Bilsteins or opting for the Koni Yellows.
Thank you for this!!I will definitely check it out before buying the koni’s

pman811
Badge Number: 1997-106

Post by pman811 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:13 pm

I had Koni Yellows/ITR springs for maybe 8 years on my R and it was a pretty solid daily driver/street car setup with track days thrown in. I'd say the dampers full soft were softer than the OEM ITR ones, so I would usually run them a bit stiffer.
97-106 (Stolen)
94 Civic CX

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am

I have the yellow konis. They are way too soft in the low setting. I prefer the stiffest setting.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:27 am

Stin1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am I have the yellow konis. They are way too soft in the low setting. I prefer the stiffest setting.
What springs and sway bar(s)? I feel looking at the complete picture offers better feedback.

OP - I'm reminded of a more technical thread around suspension we have here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20

Example:
Xian wrote: ...Koni Sport "Yellows" - awesome OTS solution for most applications. Not a load of compression, decent rebound, and can handle rates up toe ~500#. It's a solid street shock that you can also use on track or for autox. Be careful with bump travel if you're lowering the car much at all. Consider getting extended upper mounts or their "Race" shocks if you want to go low....

...Shock adjustments - keep in mind that nothing on the car works in a vacuum; meaning, if you change something at one end of the car, it won't just effect that end of the car... it'll impact the whole thing. Generally speaking, adding rebound to one end of the car will make it looser/easier to rotate by transferring load more quickly. Adding compression aids in grip by helping to keep the tire tracking the surface until you have too much and then it decreases grip. If folks have questions, post them up and we can discuss. High end Monotubes/Pimp Shocks will have a much larger range than the entry level twin tube stuff from Koni mentioned above....
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:11 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:27 am
Stin1 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am I have the yellow konis. They are way too soft in the low setting. I prefer the stiffest setting.
What springs and sway bar(s)? I feel looking at the complete picture offers better feedback.

OP - I'm reminded of a more technical thread around suspension we have here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20

Example:
Xian wrote: ...Koni Sport "Yellows" - awesome OTS solution for most applications. Not a load of compression, decent rebound, and can handle rates up toe ~500#. It's a solid street shock that you can also use on track or for autox. Be careful with bump travel if you're lowering the car much at all. Consider getting extended upper mounts or their "Race" shocks if you want to go low....

...Shock adjustments - keep in mind that nothing on the car works in a vacuum; meaning, if you change something at one end of the car, it won't just effect that end of the car... it'll impact the whole thing. Generally speaking, adding rebound to one end of the car will make it looser/easier to rotate by transferring load more quickly. Adding compression aids in grip by helping to keep the tire tracking the surface until you have too much and then it decreases grip. If folks have questions, post them up and we can discuss. High end Monotubes/Pimp Shocks will have a much larger range than the entry level twin tube stuff from Koni mentioned above....
stock springs and stock sway bar.
Last edited by coolhandluke on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired quote formatting